pistons (again)

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
yatasaki
Light Smoker

pistons (again)

Post by yatasaki »

as mentioned on forum DT 125 pistons fits KR

ordered over ebay two sets and received KHC flat pistons ...looking good BUT rings are what I'm worried about...and than I was worried about pistons as well. other rings fit perfectly from RIKKEN (came with prox pistons)
KHC rings are cast iron with something far from nicasil plated
than I looked back to ebay to order rings and found dozen of DT pistons from mid seventies till new millenium
early types were fitted with 'L' top ring (my favorite on 50-60 ccm engines) which increases performance in no doubt but happens to melt piston where ring secure-pin is

anyone tried L-ring?
anyone tried KHC?
are the older types of DT have same compression measure?
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

Hi there,
Im assuming you mean "flat top" pistons as opposed to "dome/Convex or concave" type?
pistons that ive used from Mitaka and Prox have ALL said DT125R which is what fits the first TZR 250's (1KT is stamped inside skirt),they are NOT flat top but domed,same as KR1.
Compression will need checking as crown height is different,then just use/make your own base gaskets to get squish of between 0.7mm to 0.9mm max for good performance.
for what its worth,RK rings are good but i never use the oil control ring,they become brittle with age and make no difference whatsoever worth while,just leave it out.
also i use TZ250 4DP C clips,my latest mitaka came with weak tail type,which i would never use,old Mitaka and prox were fine and they came with RK rings and decent C Clips,not sure whats going on with them TBH.
HTH
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

!
!
And at some point prior to late 80's the DT engines were piston ported
There is various countries in which the piston ported model number features the
letters DT eg A 125DTE & DTF & DTMX & DTLC 75-92 DT125LC

These are not a DT125R as far I know (we only got motocrossers)
so for DT it seems you want 1991 to 2004 model

I dont know which ring material is electrofusion compatible or if it matters
yatasaki
Light Smoker

Post by yatasaki »

clear..
but anyone about L ring?