Tank respray

Plastic bits and Paint
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Tank respray

Post by sacko »

Just wondered if anyone knows where I can get my tank resprayed. I have been out this weekend on the KR and it was awesome and seeing as it didn't sell I am going to keep it and the only part of the body which is not mint is the tank. It is the white / green / blue type and has a dint in it so I was hoping to get another tank and get that sprayed so I dont have to go without :wink:

Anyone with a tank or the ability to spray to the standard colours let me know I would be very interested.

Cheers
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

Good decision - sorry can't help with tank though
Smokings Good For You
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

I'm going on memory here, but didn't Paul (tornado) get his done somewhere in Leeds, seem to remember the pics of it on the old site, looked very nice. Buggered if I can remeber the name of the place tho
sprocket stu
Heavy Smoker

tank

Post by sprocket stu »

i did this one
Image[/img]

dont be shy have a go. go to you local paint shop with a set of sample colours and ask them to put colour matches in aerosols
the blue is a renault colour, the pearl white is a standard pearl tint (very expensive)
and the green well every paint mixer in the country knows how to mix that

if you still dont fancty giving it a go then get in touch.
i aint a pro and generally only do my own and friends
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

the tricky thing is the white which can be difficult to match as it has a slight pearl finish to it
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Wow that looks excellent Stu well impressive. Do you thing I will be able to get a good finish with a spray can then?

The pearl white was the bit I was worried about doing
sprocket stu
Heavy Smoker

finish

Post by sprocket stu »

yeh you should be able to. dont use halfords rubbish find a profesional paint supplier

i buy magic laquer from maj paints in sunderland and my general basecoat from paint shop supplies in durham who used to paint bikes for a living so is real good at the matches.

just remmember to take your time and not pu to much on at first. let it tak off before applying the next coat . build it up slowly.

generally you are either a good painter or a good polisher :shock:
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

I think I will have to learn some patience usually I am in a big rush with paint and I end up with loads of runs :D
sprocket stu
Heavy Smoker

patience

Post by sprocket stu »

my usual routine is first dust/tacky coat.
leave garage make tea
return to garage light second coat
leave garage and drink tea
go back in and throw the paint at it :lol:
whilst at the paint shop buy some 2000 wet and dry this will remove any runs without damaging paint
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Thanks Stu I am going to have a go. I'll get another tank and try it on that. Saw one on ebay but the front edge looks bent to me I've posted on the wanted so hopefully I'll be having a go soon.

I'll let you know how I get on :)
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

if its something as important as a respray and the quality of it if gonna be the first thing people notice on your bike, why not get yourself a compressor and spray gun?
the finish will be better(after a little practice) and you can buy em for less than 100 quid nowadays.
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

I was thinking that I do actually have a spray gun which is new (just not a compressor) has a bit of a play once on and Austin A35 just did the boot it did look ok. Its just space I am struggling with really.

Has anyone every used one of those HVLP things they seem cheap enough and aren't too big just wondered if one of them would do the job?
frog32
Premix Junkie

Post by frog32 »

Has anyone every used one of those HVLP things they seem cheap enough and aren't too big just wondered if one of them would do the job?

yep i use one of those hvlp spray guns every day its more than enough for what your looking to do

this is where i buy most of my paint stuff from there real good
http://www.jawel.co.uk/index.html

have you thought about what size compressor your going to get :?:
go for the biggest one you can afford at least 50ltr :wink: you can never have enough air ....just make sure you give enough time in between coats
good luck :)
2 strokes our way of life :-)
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

What I was wondering is that they seem to do a HVLP system which has its own compressor (very small) but says it can spray all day.

Wondered if they work

Thanks for the paint link
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Well got the compressor purchase order signed off so I wondered what my shopping list should be. I haven't got any room in the garage (Stupidly I keep a car and the KR in it :lol: ) so I was thinking I need to go for a 25ltr Compressor which I can wheel around to put in the shed. I was thinking of going to machinemart because I have one close. Any advise and what to buy in terms of compressor and a gun that would work with it :?:

I get a bit confused with all the guns that you can get and don't know if anything would work with such a small compressor

Any help would be much appreciated cheers :D