Race Bike Resurrection

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
rgv mike
Light Smoker

Race Bike Resurrection

Post by rgv mike »

Hi just thought I'd share a few pics of my race bike I've been sorting out over the weekend.

[/img]Image

Hope to be testing it in Sept and out at Cadwell in Oct with DP.[/img]
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Nice one Mike, look forward to seeing you soon.
I might not be racing in October, but I will be at Cadwell.
rgv mike
Light Smoker

Post by rgv mike »

Cheers Ben, due to the fact I work away during the week, I'm pressed for time to get the bike ready, especially as I have to occasionally work weekends, so the bike will be pretty standard, looking to fit the new reed blocks and carbs over the winter ready for next year. Just looking forward to get it out and riding it. If your there at Cadwell pop over and speak to us.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I will and I'll introduce you to the other 250 lads, we're all a sociable bunch and can be often found together in the bar on the Saturday evening.
rgv mike
Light Smoker

Post by rgv mike »

Nice one, look forward to it. Last time this bike was raced was 2006 since then its done one track day, and gathered alot of dust and gunk! Thanks to a good mate of mine who spent hours cleaning the crap off it ready for me to pick it up, you'd hardly tell how dirty it was!!
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

It looks great.

My bike still looks good, but we're getting close to the end of the season and the wear and tear of racing is starting to show now.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

What body work have you used on this Mike?
rgv mike
Light Smoker

Post by rgv mike »

Its a BBR fairing and seat unit from replicast, my mate John Hawkes who I used to race against when I ran an RGV and he had this bike knows replicast very well from when he was doing GP 125 at Thundersport, he sourced it from them, apparently he said it was a experimental fairing from a few years ago from a Yamaha TZ 250 WGP team who never came back for the moulds. I was going to use an h***a RS fairing and seat unit as I still have an old one from when I raced one, but after John suggested this I thought why not? Had to chop the front bracket down a bit plus a bit of cutting but got there in the end. :D I take it yours is a h***a RS one?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

yes, it's an RSW fairing.
rgv mike
Light Smoker

Post by rgv mike »

Looks very smart, many KR's racing with DP?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

not this year I'm the only one.

Mr Jordan might be out to play at the last Cadwell meet.
Mark Stephenson is recovering from a crash at the end of last season, but is fit to race, not sure if he'll be out to play in October, but it's a possibility.
I've not seen Pete Lodge since he blew his engine at Snetterton at the start of the season.
Colin Sleigh hasn't been out on his for a couple of years, so I could see what he's up to for next year.
Andy B hasn't raced his KR since last year, but will be out next year.
Kevin Underhill is still preparing his KR ready for next year.
Virginia Power is racing the TSGP series and Tricia Roberts is doing the brands hatch rounds also with TSGP.
Bob Udall is building a race bike to be ridden next season, but is based near Perth, so will be limited to the northern circuits I imagine.

That just about covers all the KR racers I know of.
rgv mike
Light Smoker

Post by rgv mike »

Hmm as I suspected, numbers have dwindled alot since I last raced in what was the KR Cup. I wonder what the drop in numbers is down to? Recession? Entry fees? Organisation or a combination of these points and others? Sad really, was good to have a lot of two-strokes cutting up the diesels :D
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Those listed a KR-1S racers, there are more proddy 250's racing.

Regulars at DP are Dan Williams (3XV), David Reynolds (VJ23), Alex Leek (NSR) Grameme Fraser (VJ23), Lee Healey (RS250), Fontyyy still has his NSR, but has been out on a 400 this year. We usually have 6 or 7 per meeting and to be honest, it's what's keeping the 400 class going.

Callum Ward (VJ22), Cory Smith (VJ22), Ian King (3XV) have all done a couple of races with DP this year.

I'm sure with a bit of effort, it could all be resurrected.