Introduction and the on going project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Seanrd

Introduction and the on going project

Post by Seanrd »

Hello all, been browsing for a while but never signed up but i thought i'd introduce myself and my project. Im Sean, 20 years young and brainwashed from a young age with all these proper bikes. Parents to blame for that one. Anyway here we go :) Bit pic heavy so i do apologise

Comments and criticism welcome would love to know what you think

So this is where is all began. Bought a 31k LC2 complete but non runner for the engine, sold the rest on but i've kept the frame as i might have something in mind for that at a later date.

Loosely bolted together

Result, only 0.5mm over size pistons and unmolested barrels

Straight on with my clear clutch cover conversion

Done

Once I sold the bits off, I was able to buy this….

Bought mainly for the frame and VERY solid tank, forks were sold on as they were awful single side damped TZR125 ones.

After a quick haggle at Stafford I got these, KR1S forks with calipers, yokes and spindle for £50

After a long search I found one. TZR250 reverse cylinder swingarm. Off the pb forum if I remember correctly. The gent was an absolute diamond and included all the linkages.

Only issue was it was far to wide to fit in the LC frame (200mm) and the swingarm was around 230 with the dust covers. So into a friends milling machine it went.

I turned up a new center spacer to reduce the spindle size from 20mm to 16mm

It fits, happy days

Picked up a set of PWK28’s off the RD forum, these will come in handy later

Had a friend beadblast the arm to remove the hard anodising ready to be polished, sourced an MV F4 caliper for the rear aswell

As I was converting the frame to use the TZR rising rate suspension I had to replace the thin tubing where the center stand brackets were replaced with box section.

Templates for the mounts were made from MDF then replicated in 6mm steel plate.

All in

Some nice new NOS parts

KR1S front end now in

As was the rear

Picked up a 17x4.5 inch FZR400 rear wheel, turned up some new spacers and it fits, but it will require some more machining to the sprocket carrier to get the chain run right.

Had to make a mount for the YPVS servo, hidden behind the headstock

Made these out of 19mm stainless hex, will help me get the ride height set up and look the biz ;)

Photoshop mock up of the paint scheme. Maybe, tempted to go candy blue

Finished my sprocket carrier off this afternoon, snuck back into college to use there lathe. Took 7mm off the bearing face, so will change to a sealed 52x25x15 SKF bearing instead of a separate seal. Also took 10mm off the sprocket mating face. Im going to change from studs and nuts to simply bolting the sprocket in place. Looks cleaner and saves a bit of space plus can play with my new lock wiring pliars :oops: Got a good chain run now to the front so i think i can get away without an offset sprocket on the front with enough clearance for a 150 tyre on the 17X4.5 FZR400 wheel. TZR125 4DL carrier, FZR400 wheel, 3MA Arm, MV Agusta F4 caliper..... :lol:

Old vs new shots

Bit tight

Now

Plenty of space now

Also bought this, NOS tank for my RD50mxII, wrong colour but i bought it for the shape and obviously its solid

Little update, made a caliper hanger for the rear today. Not much space using the MV caliper so i bought some ultra low profile titanium disc bolts. Had to increase the disc holes to 10mm for the shoulder to sit correctly.

Also got this 8mm ally plate for a tenner. Result

All marked out ready

Test fit

Just need to finish my torx arm now

Went and MOT'd this aswell. Sailed through 8-)

:D

So after an awful start to the day after watching the GP (simoncelli) I was put off going out for a spin so headed for the garage instead to have a play with the bits and pieces I bought at the Stafford show last weekend.

Found a nice tidy radiator with minmum damage to the cooling fins, still a few I needed to straighten but its looking like this now. Need to get it dipped to remove the paint then its going gloss black.

One job done, next was onto the uncut subframe I managed to find for a tenner it was a good buy but someone had obviously thought about it the backed out of the idea of cutting it down.

I made a slug to sit across the 2 pieces which hadn’t been fully cut but would of obviously been week, cleaned up the remaining powder coating and set to work welding it up.

All welded up, you can see the wall thickness is a little more with the insert in place.

A lick of paint for now, then it’ll be off for coating with the rest of the stuff

Finally managed to get hold of one.

Next on the list is making these work

Had a couple of hours spare this afternoon so i started working on some new back plates for the rear sets.

Turned up the mounts on my lathe allows the bolts so sit flush, they weren't done up in the picks

Mild steel for mock ups, need to mod the rear brake lever to work how i want it but you'll get the idea. A really quick mock up i must point out as you can see by the state of them.

I will make them in stainless, tig them then mirror polish them once im happy with it :D

New rear shock

Started to make the templates for the new undertray

Right then, well im still here and its update time, things have moved on quickly in the last few days. My entry with the bike was confirmed for the festival of 1000 bikes this year at Mallory park so I need to get my arse in gear and get going. I’ve finished off the frame now and that off to powder coating along with the wheels and my subframe. So here we go.
3 sub frames later I found a straight one but was cut down to I set to work one evening to remake it myself. Out with the dremel.

The following even I sorted out the bottom yoke/horn bracket problem

This morning I drove back down to kent to pick up some goodies from the top fella that is Mr Bob Farnham. 4 days it took him to turn this lot round. Crank fully rebuilt, rebore, fast road tune and head work. FANTASTIC!!!

Then on the way back found the nations biggest car park aka the M25 I swung into Gibson’s/bling polishing to pick up my swing arm and fork lowers from Clive Hurley who well I’ll let the pictures speak for them selves. Again super quick turn around and floorless work. Can not recommend him enough.

RD350 YPVS Hybrid. 3MA rear end, Kr1s front end
Seanrd

Post by Seanrd »

Before i forget, my pride and joys. Mark Dent pipes
Pipes pipes pipes

Image :oops:
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

Looking forwards to seeing it finished

I love LC's with modern running gear - don't like standard

I think what is so good about the LC is you can see everything even
when its finished

Maybe not the fastest 2 stroke but the coolest 8)

There are a lot of KR projects on here that look nice when in the build
stage - but i'm afraid once you bolt the plastics back on no-one will
notice or see your hard work.
Smokings Good For You
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Welcome to the forum Sean and thanks for the pictures of your project (we all like pictures :) )

I'm well impressed with the standard of your build, but also the fact that you're only 20 makes it even more impressive.

We have a few LC special members here, check out Headcoats Marmite 2 project, or even find some pictures of Marmite 1.

Looking forward to seeing regular updates.

Good luck, Ben
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

Welcome Sean,
yeah great thread, really enjoyed reading that. Great pics. (enjoyed checking out the contents of your garage too, lol - Have you got enough Magners and Fosters? )

keep it coming =D> :D
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

Hello Sean
You come over to the green side now, about time you saw sense,
Clive did my swinger on my lc/rgv. Your dad still got his x7 8)
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Welcome Seany :mrgreen:
Don't forget i have more Kawasaki parts on my LC than you :lol:
Can it yer old boiler
teerex
Oil Injector

Post by teerex »

I love RD's me! :)
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Welcome to the forum sean. Great thread you are obviously a very talented engineer, but I think you need a van.
"Turned out nice again"
Seanrd

Post by Seanrd »

Cheers for the warm welcome guys :wink:

Pablo, i've just bought a Golf so a little bigger than the Fiesta haha

Ah yes the X7, yep still got it and he's for ever adding to it
Seanrd

Post by Seanrd »

Its update time again. Got my new polishing motor mounted so finished off a few little bits ready to build up the rolling chassis. First up was the rear brake hanger. Started off like this.

Then all polished up with the spacer pressed in, heated the carrier and froze the spacer then pressed together should make fitting it a lot less fiddly.
Detail on the spacer

Turned up a torx arm from some stainless hex and a lh and rh threaded rose joint
Engine went off to the vapour blasters
Forward 48 hours

Started the work on the head

That’s all for now :D
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Seanrd wrote: Detail on the spacer
I made something similar, a spacer pressed into a plate, and the plate had about the same sizes as yours, and it cracked at it's thinnest point (north-west on your picture).

just make sure it's a very light press fit :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Seanrd

Post by Seanrd »

Time for anotheupdate. She’s rollllllling!!!! Well on one wheel at least. Still waiting for A.M Phil Potts to get my fork stantions back to me. Picked everything up from the powder coaters late last night. Got up early this morning to put the tyres on the wheels and get them balanced up then cracked on.

Swing arm and linkages all in, just waiting for my probolt order to come through so please excuse the mishmash of none fitting bolts.
YPVS servo all tucked away
Rebuilt seat catches
That’s it for now 
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Looking good!

Dan
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »