Fast Suzuki

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Wish mine was as shiny as that.

Been watching 750RK's sell for a few years now, values not in the RC30 league but rising fast. And much rarer.
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Homologation specials

Post by KR-1R »

the 1989 RK Suzuki had some big arse 40mm CV carbs (Mikuni BST) not Flatslides :oops:
... old folk might not get to grip with how high the pegs are

I might be a little biased but I think this is cooler... low and wedge-like, and the right colour =P~
...SMITHYRC30 might agree

Kawasaki still makes a two stroke...
A two stroke dual-fuel main engine which is electronically controlled with a high combustion efficiency coupled with a hull form optimised for safety and fuel efficiency
Kawasaki Heavy Industries has completed the development of a large, 9 000 TEU container ship fuelled by LNG and obtained Approval in Principle from DNV.
The ship is designed with a new type of LNG tank that provides more space for container cargo.

...pretty cool - no heavy fuel oil to spill and mop in a crash

you can see the similarities (frame extrusions etc) in the TLR and the RGV of the same era - like they put steroids in the gas tank - and lumps sprouted
very trick frame... but never made a dent on the NSR/TZR race results....
Last edited by KR-1R on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

Yes I do like the ZXR more than the GSXR. The tank and frame on the GSXR look incongruous with the fairing and seat. The ZXR on the whole is more balanced. :)

My garage is a bit crowded at the moment, the ZXR M1 sits next to the RC30 which is next to the KR and at the back of the RC45 is slowly going back together, if I get time I'll take a couple of shots to show the mess and overcrowding...... :shock:

However I am still looking for that elusive good condition GSXR. Tim is correct they are way rarer than RC30's or 45's and I think probably rarer than OW02's as well.

BTW if anyone knows where there is an 89 model OW01 for sale in good condition I'd be interested in that too.....
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

Wow that's some serious 750 firepower
Proper racing bikes - and i would like one of each please 8)

But which is best?

OWO1
RC30
ZXR750RR
GSXR750RRK

?
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Japanese Homologation 750's buyers guide

Post by KR-1R »

they all slightly different so appeal to people for different reasons

GSXR750RG (RR or LTD)
+ dry clutch
- end of an era in frames and suspension/wheels/brakes

RC30 (VFR750R)
+ silky smooth V4 (gear cams) and outstanding road manners (shortest wheelbase? 1405mm), successful endurance racer and TT winner
- 18" rear wheel
- commonest 750 special? but always desirable (collection not complete without at least one)

OW-01 (FZR750R)
+ came out of the box with more racing kit inside - titanium con-rods
- was the most expensive ever of the Jap 750's
- an expensive FZR1000?
Bimota YB4 EI
+ Yamaha FZR750 engined homologation with fuel injection

GSXR750RK (GR79)
+ rare
- no flatslides, no dry clutch (would have sold better on the street), not watercooled
- ergonomics, assembled by blind people*

ZXR750R (K '91,M '93,N '95)
+ ~20% more powerful than the road bike, better KYB suspension
+ the privateers dream - affordable and tunable
- looks identical to the street version but solo seat

YZF750SP ('93, '95)
+ roomy (suits lots of sizes), OHLINS(Yamaha) shock, terrific value for money today (buyer)
- terrible 'Labia Pink' colour scheme, more people bought Fireblades
- essentually the same package (cams) as the road bike but with FCR carbs and CR box
- wide variation in specification (performance) depending on market country (ignition curve)

RC45 (RVF750)
+ 17inch rims, USD forks, silky gear driven cams
- more complicated electronics/injection - probably hard to live with if things go wrong

OW-02 (YZF-R7)
+ leading edge looks (new generation), utlimate suspension
- very expensive parts, lots of other options from non Japanese makers
- too rare and expensive - collector speculation

* Suzuki Slingshot maintenance is an owners nightmare... the amount of other things necessary to remove before you can perform simple tasks - like removing the airbox
Last edited by KR-1R on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Top-shaggy wrote:Wow that's some serious 750 firepower
Proper racing bikes - and i would like one of each please 8)

But which is best?

OWO1
RC30
ZXR750RR
GSXR750RRK

?
Only one way to find out...

Yamaha RD350LC,
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Re: Japanese Homologation 750's buyers guide

Post by StrokerBoy »

KR-1R wrote:GSXR750RK (GR79)
+ rare
- no flatslides, no dry clutch (would have sold better on the street), not watercooled
- ergonomics, assembled by blind people*
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

KR-1R, look out of your front window, see that bunch of people in blue/white paddock jackets and white hi-top trainers, that's a lynchmob that is...
Yamaha RD350LC,
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

I started a little webpage for my RK when I bought it, just somewhere to stick some pics on really. I've not had much to say recently, but it mentions some of the other homologation specials and a bit of GSX-R750 history too if anyone's interested. Plus details of some of the RK's and LTD's that I've seen up for sale. See HERE.

I've been lucky enough to ride that '86 LTD on three occasions. I suppose it might feel like a dinosaur if you're used to some 2011 hot-shot 1000 but I bloody loved it. The chink of the dry-clutch, the rattle of the flatslides, lovely. Slightly disappointing that the '89RK had neither, but it was due to noise legislation, they appeared in the race kit instead. Those 40mm CV's are trick though - they've got twist-off caps and a QD floatbowl so you can make last-minute needle/jetting changes on the grid.

I've ridden the ZXR750R-K1 too which was very nice, and the OW-01 which oddly didn't do much for me at all. :?

We've been pestering the October Stafford Show organisers to let us have enough space in the main hall to do the homologation line-up again - same 7 bikes as last time, plus we've found a YZF-SP, R7 and 888-SP too. They ain't going for it, and we're not going to squeeze 'em into a 6' square space in the small hall right at the back. ](*,)

Yamaha RD350LC,
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

There's a third Suzuki homologation 750 by the way, the '94 SP. Rarest one of all, they only made 200 worldwide.

Not very trick though, looks exactly like the ordinary '94WR and even has a pillion seat and footrests. France/Germany only so limited to 100bhp. And watercooled, so not even a proper GSX-R... :wink:

Yamaha RD350LC,
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

[/quote]
Only one way to find out...

Image[/quote]

Hey Tim I recognise that fantastic layout - it's Uttoxeter Racecourse a couple of years ago? Before I had even met you guys 

Would make a great statement on the floor at Stafford - who do we lobby !
Oh and the name ? Diff'rent2Strokers ?

Hopefully see the GSXR at one of the Classic Track days :?
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

smithyrc30 wrote:
However I am still looking for that elusive good condition GSXR.
My mate who has the GSXR I started the thread with has just sent me this link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-SUZUKI-G ... 231a3d5ee6

Some serious kit materialising on this thread. Strokerboys pic of the 94 SP reminds me of the 92 WN I had with a purple blue and white 90's paint scheme.
"Turned out nice again"
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

a zero file OW-01 (JDM) sold in Japan last year for ¥2,000,000
(the same price it was in 1989)

Darryl Kerrigan says about the Ebay GSXR750RK : "ring 'em up and Tell him he's dreaming"

a zero mile RK sold in Japan last year for ¥1,580,000
~ £13,250
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

pablo wrote: My mate who has the GSXR I started the thread with has just sent me this link
Chuff the cat!!!!

28 grand? :shock:

He IS dreaming.

Still working on a guy in Japan for one for a tenth of that, which comes with some of the race kit bits and the factory paddock stand that you could buy as an add on.
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

I'm diving into my dark side past but didn't the RR have some tricky carbs that you could change mains jets/needles with the carbs insitu?
In NSW Mat Blair rode an RR for Action Suzuki and think he wrote it off.
A fellow I do work for (races chainsaws)got gazumped on a RC30 from the time he done the deal and went to the bank , got back and someone else was test riding the bike! The dealer found another gathering dust in Dubbo.
The OW-01 didn't seem to cut it as a race bike in privateer hands , I could never understand why they came packed with goodies but still needed a race kit to get them going.
RC30 was a good privateer bike, the RR was fast but not fast enough.............I think :-k
I think all the homologation specials will appeciate
crochet & croquet
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

StrokerBoy wrote:Those 40mm CV's are trick though - they've got twist-off caps and a QD floatbowl so you can make last-minute needle/jetting changes on the grid.
TwoStroke Institute wrote:I'm diving into my dark side past but didn't the RR have some tricky carbs that you could change mains jets/needles with the carbs insitu?
:lol:
Yamaha RD350LC,