The H*nda

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

The H*nda

Post by SHimmer45 »

well after much abuse been hurled my way :lol: i thought id better post a few quick pics of the CBR400..

not the greatest pics, its currently in a few bits as i remove the large amounts of shite that the council and local farmers insist on leaving the on the road. :roll:

got a few little other bits to do.
fit a different exhaust
get a few bits powder coated.

havent done anything to it since i have had it so i thought might be nice to add a couple of taste full additions ir no nasty bolt on tat.

it a shame this sort of bike isnt developed any more. (33bhp to 100bhp ish thats going to do wonders for the crash stats :roll: )
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
2tanks
Heavy Smoker

Post by 2tanks »

Nice 8)
Risk nothing
Do nothing
Acheive nothing
Become NOTHING!!!!
( Big Dave R.I.P )
Flanker
Smoker

Post by Flanker »

Very nice Shimmer, she looks really tidy.

I have been thinking about adding something with two strokes too many to my collection, I was thinking about about a VFR400 NC30 but the CBR looks really good. Any idea how the two compare?
When faced with a choice of two evils go for the one you haven't tried!
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

erm i havent ridden a VFR.
from what i can gather it has a bit more mid range and a little less top end than the cbr.
mine is an NC23 which is the older of the cbrs there is a NC29 which is basically a different bike with ram air etc.
any post 1988 bike is restricted to 112mph i think the same for NC30's and all the other 400's
cbr is in some ppls opinion harder to ride, but as with all the 400's you need to rev them to get the best from them which can be annoying when commuting and its pishing down.
Handling is good if a little soft for bigger ppl and the brakes are like running into a skip.
im not that fast and it keeps me outta trouble.
comfort is pretty good.

you pay a bit more for a VFR, which is a shame as you can pay silly money for cbr's/vfrs, due to the demand for them. before getting this i went and saw alot of snotters. (i paid £1500 from a dealer, with 19k kms on the clock and is completely unmolested even got the standard can on it still workin on that tho :D )

the build quality is good and i have had mine for a year and the only thing i have done to it is put tyres on it and replace a fuel pump.
getting servicing is a little tricky as my local h***a place wont touch it with a barge pole but spare arnt too bad as i have a local h***a parts dealer or use David Silver. Even tho they are getting for 17yrs old they still look good and have the cool sound of gear driven cams and are pretty much unburstable.
Mines in a few bits at present as i remove all the crap from it and get the wheels powder coated.

best source of info is http://www.400greybike.co.uk/
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
Flanker
Smoker

Post by Flanker »

Guess I will have try and blag a test ride on the two of them to compare, got an idea that someone in my local bike shop I know pretty well has a CBR tucked away and as you say VFR's are pretty common - ho hum! :D

Having seen yours I certainly prefer the look of the CBR, in particular the tail end is much nicer, I am not a fan of the dodgy square lights on the VFR. I need to stay pre '92 really to keep the classic bike policy clear of anything to modern.

Adding the KR-1S to my policy this year cost me £8.40, putting a DR350 on, a year younger - so classed as a modern bike (but with ignition and normal road based security) cost me £78 :? Call me tight... but that is bloody ridiculous!

I would also want to avoid anything that was restricted if possible so thanks for that tip! It's not that I ride that fast, it would probably never really affect me it's the principal that hacks me off!

Thanks for all the info. Maybe I'll see you and the H*nda on the trip down to Poole one day in the summer or up on the Ace Cafe Kwak day.
When faced with a choice of two evils go for the one you haven't tried!
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

the restriction is pretty easy to overcome.
1) solder a resistor onto the back off the speedo
2) get a pre 1988 CDI
3) fit a MPH converter
4) or a speed booster box
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor