The reason I'm here.

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Long un,I think your post might have been hijacked mate but I have to say it's took a great turn.

I love accents and regional slang,I reckon we are really lucky in the Uk to have so many,and I can't say there's one I don't like.

I lived in London in the 80s and the rhyming slang was easy to get but I never got to grips with the monkey,pony carry on.I think it was then that I got to love accents cos in the 80s London was full of folks from the provences looking for work.

Mind you when I first went down there I would ask for stuff and people would look at me like I was from another world.I soon realised that I had to make a bit of an effort to be understood.

In London I was working with a lad from another village in co durham and a lad from stoke.At the end of the day we went for a pint.The lad from stoke came back from the bar with the first round and said " I've been working with you two all day and when you speak to me I can understand you but, I hav'nt understood a word you've said to each other all day :D
"Turned out nice again"
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Long un,

I agree with Pablo, this has turned into an interesting (but confusing) post.

I think we have a greater variation in local accents/dialects and slang in the north in just a 50 mile radius....we have the Geordies, Mackems and Smoggies (to name a few) who all sound very different :shock:

I worked just a few miles up the road in Newcastle for a number of years and one of my oldest engineers (who had lived all of his life in Scotswood Road Newcastle).......he worked for me for 7 years and I never understood a word he said to me!!!!!! #-o

Cheers,
Bernie :D
(a Smoggie)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Hi Long Un,

I have a servo, some REALLY good used PV's (3 I think) and cables if you are interested.

Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers

Andrew
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
ZXR400L PROJECT :shock:
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I could also do with powervalve cables as well as the 2 clamps
long un

Post by long un »

Ay up cock, r's it gooin? :D just for you Pablo a taste of West Yorkshire.

I've had chance to get in the garage today and start to strip the bike.

Couple of questions regarding the bike.
1. Frame no starts KR250C and Engine no starts KR250BE. Is this a KR1 engine and does it make a difference what power valves go in it?

2. Top end looks in good nick, bottom end feels solid and it sounded sweet when I started it so should I bother stripping the engine?

Couple of questions regarding the way I may be going.
1. How easy is a ZXR400 front end to fit?

2. Has anyone used a ZXR400 rear wheel in the standard swing arm, If so what needs to be done?

Easy work is done now the bike is stripped, now let the head scratching and spending begin :|
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

long un wrote: Couple of questions regarding the bike.
1. Frame no starts KR250C and Engine no starts KR250BE. Is this a KR1 engine and does it make a difference what power valves go in it?

All engine numbers (KR1 and KR1S) start with KR250BE-00xxxx for all models

See also: viewtopic.php?t=1354
long un wrote: 2. Top end looks in good nick, bottom end feels solid and it sounded sweet when I started it so should I bother stripping the engine?
I thought your powervalves were shot, if they are I would take off the head and barrels to replace them
long un wrote: 1. How easy is a ZXR400 front end to fit?
See this posting:

viewtopic.php?t=4284
long un wrote: 2. Has anyone used a ZXR400 rear wheel in the standard swing arm, If so what needs to be done?|
won't work: viewtopic.php?t=4612

Charles
long un

Post by long un »

Thanks Charles

I've already got the top end off.

What I meant was if everything looks and sounds good is there any need to split the bottom?

I know if the LC's are stood for a long period of time it's worth while to strip and do the crank shaft seals as they perish but I don't think this engine has been stood for too long because of how easy it started.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

long un wrote: What I meant was if everything looks and sounds good is there any need to split the bottom?
No, at least I wouldn't split it unless you observe something obviously wrong.....

Charles
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

stripping a KR1 engine is such an easy job, I would do it.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
long un

Post by long un »

Lady luck shines on me today. :D

I called at a mates place of work the other week and noticed a ZXR400L on one of the ramps. This bike is an insurance write off that is in a state but is pretty much all there. He said they wanted it out of the way so I asked him to put a bid in for me.

Any way, to cut a long story short he called me today and said I can collect it tomorrow.

I only wanted it for the front end but I'm now wondering if the complete back end will fit in the KR frame as the ZXR wheel is too wide for the standard KR swing arm.

Has anyone done this?
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

ZXR400 swingarm

Post by KR-1R »

the swingarm at the pivot has to be made narrower (~228 to ~210 (KR))
the cush drive sprocket face machined/slimmed down to bring chain line as close as practical to 160 tyre's edge
as well as offset front sprocket (chain will still be very close to frame upright at the KR pivot)
I think the hole where the shock goes through the swingarm (on a L model) is a round tube/tunnel (fully welded) and may require alteration of shock top mount point (different angle it makes from KR vs ZXR) (see ?someones? posting ages ago comparing ZXR250 swingarm to KR)
more common to use RGV swinger (91/92)

ZXR400H swingarm dimensions below... note H shock through hole is ?better? than L model
H model approx 10mm shorter than KR-1S

nothing is impossible only degrees of difficulty
KOJI's ZXR swingarm...
long un

Post by long un »

Thanks for that, looks like I'd better get some new hacksaw blades. :|
long un

Post by long un »

So it's about 2 years since I last posed on here and that's because the KR1S has been side lined until yesterday. I was twiddling my thumbs in the garage, as a result the engine was stripped yesterday.
Who would you recommend for a crank rebuild. The crank looks sound but I stripped the engine so I could replace all the seals. Crank shaft oil seals look a bit shabby.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Give BDK a call :D
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300