My New (Old) Bike

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

My New (Old) Bike

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Guys,

I picked up my first KR1S at the end of October, having not owned or ridden a bike for a considerable period of time.

I could not even think of owning anything but a Kawasaki having been a triple owner since I passed my bike test when I was 17 (a long time ago).

What better bike to consider than the fastest 250 on the planet!
So I picked up a nice bike off the forum (Red & Grey C3).

And I have now started taking it to bits. I was going to have the frame and swinging arm powder coated but I gave the frame a bit of attention with the wet & dry and solvol.....bugger it, I have just made a job for myself...polishing it all ](*,)

Not finished yet....

The seals for the KIPS valves looked as if they had been leaking a bit so I pulled off the head and had a good look around....got my first surprise :shock:
When I checked the bores they were 61mm (60.94mm to be precise) so I have a Stan Stevens 300 :!:

Just as well that I did not start buying bits before I looked!

The engine was very fit with no noises before I took it apart (reciepts for over £500 from BDK with the bike).
But I had a closer look at the valves and found the stems were worn where they make contact with the seals, not very happy and will have to sort out replacements.

Thanks to Lee.....problem sorted (top man!!!)

Thanks to Tambo, Pablo, Ludders, Kawasaki Man and Martin for help advice and bits....

Still have not made my mind up how this is going to end up, I would like to have a vgc standard red and grey body and a kawasaki racing green single seat, if I save up all my pocket money I might be able to get both!

Going to make the end of my finger black and very sore (more polishing that is). :shock:

Bernie :D
Last edited by 500bernie on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Bernie,looks to be a very nice KR1s,and all there too :)
You seem to be doing OK for parts and you're in the right place for help and advice. Just enough to keep you busy over the winter eh :wink:
"Turned out nice again"
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

Wish I had the patience to polish like that :shock: =D> =D> Looks great !!
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Thanks for the comments guys.
The polishing is hard (especially on the fingers) but knowing me, if I had the frame powder coated, I would damage the finish during assembly and be gutted :(
So although keeping it clean is a long term commitment, at least it only costs me my time and a bit of solvol!
(I am pleased that they did not do an alloy tank version).
Cheers
Bernie
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I do like the polished look and I've never had too much trouble maintaining the shine.

You'll obviously not be running it in bad weather, so the time spent keeping it polished and looking nice, is all part of the fun.
Last edited by Luders on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

I hate to say this but....It will have more time being polished than being ridden (old age, dodgy back and duff knees) :oops:
Bernie
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

500bernie wrote:I hate to say this but....It will have more time being polished than being ridden (old age, dodgy back and duff knees) :oops:
Bernie
You could add sore hand, blackened finger tips, and frequent autosol high to that list with polishing like that :D :D :wink:
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
barryj
Heavy Smoker

Post by barryj »

Bloody he'll that looked pretty clean and original before it got all polished, sorry :-((
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Yes it looked fantastic from 15m away but sadly close up showed the scars of a hard life and lack of tlc
I know the polished finish is not to everyone's liking but it would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers
Bernie
rockerted
Heavy Smoker

polishing

Post by rockerted »

bernie, when you finish yours would you mind nipping over to spenny and finish mine?..looks well!!ted :D
remember, you can strap a monkey to a rocket, but that won,t make it a pilot..
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Ted,

Great to hear from another owner in the area (I thought these little buggers were supposed to be scarce!).

It is not as hard as people make out, so long as you have the right gear and some time on your hands.
The large side section of the frame takes an evening to polish by hand, a bit quicker if you have polishing wheels and compounds (I dont, I just use 180 grit, then 240 grit, then 400 grit, fine wire wool and finish with solvol), you can cheat and use the Garryflex abrasive blocks, they work well.
I would be happy to pop over sometime and get you started.

If you started on something small like the clip-on brackets you would soon find out if polishing was for you, it is addictive...not sure if it is the smell of the Solvol or the aluminium dust, or maybe just seeing something cruddy and corroded become clean and mirror finished.

Before and after;

The finished result:

PM me your details.

Cheers,
bernie :D
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Guys n Galls,

Time to start working again, the project stalled towards the end of last year.

Still been polishing bits 8-[ can't seem to stop [-o<

Cheers,
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

shiny is the way forward if you ask me 8)
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

Liking this rebuild, very very nice!

Looks like I better start buying Magners to inspire me to start using the Solvol

8-[
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Top-shaggy wrote:Liking this rebuild, very very nice!

Looks like I better start buying Magners to inspire me to start using the Solvol

8-[
Just as well I have a few more bottles left over from New Year.......coz I can't belive what I just started polishing :oops:

I am blaming the Stella Cidre #-o

I will post some photos at the weekend 8-[

Cheers,