Got me a KR-1

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
waynester
Light Smoker

Got me a KR-1

Post by waynester »

Hi chaps, new here... (well, been registered a while but as I have had no KR shaped bike I have remained silent) :)

Have purchased an original '89 KR-1 but in the red colour scheme rather than G/W/B.

Totally original, black steel pipes still on the bike.

I bought a new green KR-1 back in 1989, I also bought an RGV 250P in '93, yet it's the KR-1 which has left is 'nutty' memory on me the strongest!

Have fancied another for some time but they are not exactly thick on the ground. Certainly way more S's but it was an original pre S i wanted...

Not sure on the red/white colour scheme... I had entertained re-spraying to the green/blue but as this is in excellent condition maybe silly to do so??

No pics yet but it's the same as this one:

This was my 1st KR-1 bought new in '89 from Daytona m/cycles in Ruislip

Charles
Premix Junkie

Re: Got me a KR-1

Post by Charles »

waynester wrote:Not sure on the red/white colour scheme... I had entertained re-spraying to the green/blue but as this is in excellent condition maybe silly to do so??
Hi, I wouldn't respray it, that would be a shame.......

Charles
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Call me crazy but I like the red better. I would have loved to buy one new. Sadly I was in primary school in the late 80's and early 90's.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Charles wrote:
waynester wrote:Not sure on the red/white colour scheme... I had entertained re-spraying to the green/blue but as this is in excellent condition maybe silly to do so??

Charles
If it's in excellent condition, keep it original and don't respray it.
waynester
Light Smoker

Post by waynester »

Luders wrote:
Charles wrote:

Charles
If it's in excellent condition, keep it original and don't respray it.
It is in lovely condition, hence the indecision.... the idea to re-spray is only because my 1st KR was green. There do seem to be fewer red one's around...

I was also at school in the late 80's, I left in '88...so then financed myself up to my eyeballs a year later to get a new KR-1. :D
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

waynester wrote: It is in lovely condition, hence the indecision.... the idea to re-spray is only because my 1st KR was green. There do seem to be fewer red one's around...
Why don't you then take the original bodywork off and spray the bodywork Doug is selling just in the colour scheme of your old green KR1:

viewtopic.php?t=6420

Charles
waynester
Light Smoker

Post by waynester »

It's an idea but the red/white is growing on me... also the wheels would need spraying or replacing as they are also red.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

welcome to the forum mate.Sounds like a great find.Good luck with it whatever you decide to do,if it's a nice original bike,probably best to keep it like that.Unless sentiment gets the better of you.
"Turned out nice again"
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

pablo wrote:if it's a nice original bike,probably best to keep it like that.Unless sentiment gets the better of you.
Hasn't sentiment gotten the better of us all? Isn't that why we throw 3 times the value of our 20 year old bikes into "restoring" them?
For the money I'm looking to spend I could easily buy a coulpe of year old 600, but this is my FIRST road bike, first set of wheels for that matter.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

[/quote]Hasn't sentiment gotten the better of us all? Isn't that why we throw 3 times the value of our 20 year old bikes into "restoring" them?
For the money I'm looking to spend I could easily buy a coulpe of year old 600, but this is my FIRST road bike, first set of wheels for that matter.[/quote]

Yep sentiment is the main reason behind our restoration.I don't want to influence waynester but ours will be changing colours,for no other reason than sentiment.
"Turned out nice again"
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

I love the red/white colour scheme but have to admit a Kawasaki needs green in it somewhere.

Take the red/black/silver Zxr's, gorgeous but the green/blue/white ones.......I think i would need one of each =P~

You do what you want to it Waynester, its your bike fella. Kawasaki built em to be sold & rode, its only us who have set the ahem... classic value on them.

And don't worry about how much money you spend on it, think of it this way, I have spent far more on my missus & I doubt she'll look as good or go as good as my Kr1 does in 20 years time :twisted:

God I hope she never reads this :lol:
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Living on the edge there Howie :shock:

I'm sort of with you on the green thing,but the GPZs only look right in the red black silver colours.

I like the red black silver on the KR1 and the KR1s,and the Zues blue is a real eye catcher.The green,white,blue as our is,is nice but my favorite is the green, black livery. 8)

Maybe you should start a poll waynester :?:
"Turned out nice again"
waynester
Light Smoker

Post by waynester »

Thanks for the welcome guys..having owned over 25 bikes since '89 I have to say the KR-1 is one of my 3 faves... The other 2 were my ZXR 750 H2, and my lovely Ducati 916..which I wish I had never sold. :(

Hmm...to change or not to change, that is the question...

Sentiment is a powerful force.. 8)

Will try & post some pics this weekend, if I can find my digi camera!
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

Howie wrote:have to admit a Kawasaki needs green in it somewhere.
nonsense, I'm glad mine isn't in that bogey-colour :mrgreen:
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Change the color if you want, but I wouldn't spray over a good origional set. I'll be selling my KR1 sometine in the next few months, but I'll be spraying up some spare bodywork, and keeping the Red/White panels as reference for the next KR1 I build up.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)