Engine rebuild

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
raw1981
Light Smoker

Engine rebuild

Post by raw1981 »

So I've gone a little further with my project kr1.

(Check my earlier post to see what the situation is) but to cut a long story short, the crank seals have gone in the engine. But it came with a spare engine with no top end. To make life easier, we shall call the engine that was fitted to the bike (failed crank seals) engine A, and the spare engine with the duff top end engine B.

The plan for engine A is to strip it down and get the crank sent off to stan stephens to replace the seals.

I spent today stripping down engine B. There is no cylinder head, and inspection of the pistons revealed no piston rings and some rather nasty scoring on the pistons themselves. The small end bearings have a little play in them as well.

I want to get a better look at the crank to check the seals are ok. It's just as well, because nearly every bolt on this engine was only done finger tight. So far I have removed the barrels, the r/h engine cover, and the clutch. I have removed the magneto casing and the magneto, but I have hit a snag.

The manual says I must remove the transmission shaft. I have followed the instructions on how to remove this, but the transmission simply won't come out, which leads me to believe there is something I've missed. do I need to remove the idle gear etc on the r/h side? We've tried bashing the l/h plate out with a nylon mallet and the r/h shaft but it won't budge.

What have I missed out?
buzinc
Heavy Smoker

Post by buzinc »

Yes you do. Its held in by a circlip and will prevent the output shaft, from being with drawn out of the top and bottom casing halfs.

Have a look at the link below. Might be some of some us to you.

viewtopic.php?t=4235&highlight=

buz