My Current Project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

My Current Project

Post by Luders »

I've had this KR-1S for getting on for 17 years now and for the past 13 years, it's been sat collecting dirt and dust at my fathers house.

In a nostalgic moment, I decided to go fetch my little teenage toy, get it ready for the track and have some fun!

These pictures were taken when I collected it a few months ago, so it's looking a little more together now.
I rebuilt the top end about 6 months before it went into storage and it runs and sounds beautiful still.

This was after I stripped and had given the frame a bit of a clean

Starting to put it back together

I'll upload some more recent one in a few weeks.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

another one saved 8) Bet you're glad you kept the wee beastie :D
"Turned out nice again"
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I'm glad my dad didn't get rid of it after all those years in his garage :)
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Here's a few more pics.

I've gone for an Aprilia RS 250 race fairing and CBR 600RR race tail piece.
The fairing doesn't take much fitting, just a little work on the front sub frame top mounts.
In this picture, you can see I have cut a "V" section out of the original tail piece shape. The original front section is wildly out and does not line up with the petrol tank.

Using the original side panels, I have cut them back and inserted them into position.

Using some fibre glass paste, the two sections are effectively stuck together to hold them in the correct position.

Once the fibre glass had gone off, I removed the tail piece and layed some thin card over the outside with the contours of the body work and stuck it in place with tape.

From the inside of the tail piece, I covered the gaps to the contours of the card.

After the fibre glass had gone off, the card was removed and I used body filler to get out all the imperfections and achieve a nice smooth contour.

Going from this...

To this...
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

pablo wrote:another one saved 8) Bet you're glad you kept the wee beastie :D
It ain't saved now :lol: :wink:
Can it yer old boiler
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

headcoats wrote:
pablo wrote:another one saved 8) Bet you're glad you kept the wee beastie :D
It ain't saved now :lol: :wink:
No not in the bog standard sense :lol: But I have to say I like it 8)

What sort of paint scheme are you thinking about Luders
"Turned out nice again"
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I'm going for a nice metalic black, with white number boards. I'm not sure about the wheels yet, so I'll probably paint a set white and see how they look, then decide.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

like the idea of combining the side panels with the new seat for a good fit around the tank (although I am sure some would hate to see std side panels cut up).
I see you fitted the later RS250 fairing, although I prefer the shape of the earlier one.

For my one, I was thinking about the modern Aprilia RS125 fairing to bring the look up the bike bang up to date (another time maybe)
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Sadly I did have to canibalise two perfectly good side panels to achieve this, but it was worth it in my opinion.

I think I may prefer the shape of the earlier fairings too, but I'll wait until it's all finished before saying, "darn, I wish I went for the earlier model now"

I would be interested to see a really modern fairing used, you should keep your eye out for one :)
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

some good modding happening

but I'm not a fan of modern tails - SP1 would be the only one I like in last 10 years
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

scooble wrote:like the idea of combining the side panels with the new seat for a good fit around the tank (although I am sure some would hate to see std side panels cut up).
Yea me being one of them :? but I have to admit that they have been sacrificed in a good cause.
"Turned out nice again"
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Looking good, I like that a lot
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
dandan0162
Heavy Smoker

Post by dandan0162 »

looking good luders=D>if you need any parts i may be able to help you, im in nottingham so give me a shout and ill see what i can do, :wink:
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Thanks Dan, it's good to know someone local.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Here are a few more up to date pics of the bike painted. I was in the process of polishing it Saturday, which is why the tank and other areas have a dull finish to it.

The wheels are off being painted, but apart from that, the bike is close to being ready for it's first outing.

This is the almost finished results of the tail piece modifications.