Z400 cafe racer, project weight loss & extra ponies find

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Z400 cafe racer, project weight loss & extra ponies find

Post by Howie »

Always wondered how many characters you can fit in the 'subject' heading, well now I know, we're off to a good start.

Ok, the idea as you know, if you've been paying attention, is to lose as much weight from a 1980's Z400 twin & at the same time try to find a few extra bhp from the crappy old engine (without having to remortgage the house).

I've thought about sticking a z440 top end on it but these don't seem to be in abundance at the mo, so I'm going to stick with the original one. To lose a fair bit of weight from the engine, it will be kick start only, thus doing away with the starter motor & all the bits related to it. This in turn means I can run a smaller battery, saving more weight.

I am currently altering a glass fibre tank & seat unit to sit neatly on the frame & this weighs a whole shed load less than the original steel items. It will also mean cutting the subframe down a bit, however I will be welding a new U shaped bit back on (this will also have various brackets to take indicators & rear lamp/plate etc) so I can't include that in the weight loss really, sorry I'm waffling now :lol:

I'll post a pic later of the crappy glass fibre tank & seat unit i've got for it.
I've also won a GT550 rear wheel, however I'm not sure if this will save much weight over the original? Now on the lookout for an 18" front to match, preferably with TLS or even better 4LS [-o< , fat chance!

I'm also going to weigh up whats gone & subtract it from the bikes original weight, which I believe to be 170kg dry.

Its all good fun :wink:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Z400 cafe racer, project weight loss & extra ponies

Post by JanBros »

Howie wrote: I've thought about sticking a z440 top end on it but these don't seem to be in abundance at the mo, so I'm going to stick with the original one.
might be interesting to find out some data about the Z400 and Z440. things like diameters off the valves, volume off combustionchambers, profile off camshaft's , ... and combine best off both :wink:

iff for example, valves have the same diameter, you don't need the 440 head and you can just put the 440 cylinders on it. And the fit the cam's with the biggest profile :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Well I've done a little research Jan & it looks as if both models share the same camshaft, but different intake & exhaust valves.

The bore & stroke is 64x62 for the z400 & 67.5x62 for the z440.

I think if I'm going to go down the 440 route I need to find a cheap engine to play with. There is an engineer not far from me, so I may take the z400's barrels to him to see how much of an over bore I can get away with however saying that, to gain the benefit I would need to have the valve seats widened & reground, which may be a bit too much hassle for the extra 6bhp the 440 has over the 400!

Hmmmm, I may have to find some extra zip via the carbs & cans for the time being :-k
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

[img][img]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy28 ... /018-2.jpg[/img][/img]

Not sure if i'm going to use this tank & seat or not. Its just sitting on the bike in this pic. The tank needs a bit of work to get it to sit lower & a few brackets need removing on the bike to get the seat unit to sit properly but i'm reluctant to cut anything off the frame until i'm convinced it won't be needed.

And before you lot slaughter me about the clipons, THEY won't be used :lol: Just there for moving the bike about & trying to get an idea of height & feel etc

It just doesn't look right in the pic & I'm not sure why? Wheels will be spoked & I have to do something about the RHS fork with the not-needed brake caliper fixings (why did Kawasaki put them on?). I also need to do something about the top yoke, actually I might just use a completely different front end totally :-k
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

"Turned out nice again"
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

you seen this one Howie
Oh yeah, bit rubbish in' it? :lol:

That is one fantastic looking bike & its a smoker :wink: Just up the road from me too.

If I can get the little Z to look half as good I will be happy.

Given me some ideas about how to mount the licence plate :-k
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

[img][img]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy28 ... ie/012.jpg[/img][/img]

A little bit more progress & a little more binning to be done.

I will definately bin the headlamp brackets & another set of clip ons. The chrome rear mudguard (?) will go too.

Centre stand is gone now & the front end needs lowering to accomodate the 19"(bugger!!!!) front wheel.

But this is the fun of mocking up :-k :lol: :twisted:
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Special tools on display too :D
"Turned out nice again"
iain250
Heavy Smoker

Post by iain250 »

i like the look of this - its got a nice balance to it

iain
pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie »

[quote="pablo"]Special tools on display too :D[/quote] hammertime! :)
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Thank you Iain, its nice to have some mature comments about the project. :lol:

As for the rest of you, I'll have you know that ball pein hammer is calibrated to the nearest micron to deliver the precise whack required to get things where you want them :lol:
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

pablo wrote:Special tools on display too :D
Remember folks-

If it can't be fixed with a hammer

It can't be fixed :lol:
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

I think your onto something there mate.It would be great if you could get hold of a TLS front wheel.It's a classic look.
"Turned out nice again"
pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie »

or 'if it can't be fixed with a hammer, get a bigger hammer' :)
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

pookie wrote:or 'if it can't be fixed with a hammer, get a bigger hammer' :)
Another one- "If it doesn't fit- you're not using a big enough hammer"
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.