bit by bit....

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
KwakOn
Oil Injector

bit by bit....

Post by KwakOn »

Eventually..... some visible progress,

just trying to get it M.O.T'd again, has been a track bike for a few years.

plenty still to do: clean engine, paint tank and fairings, sort brakes, get lights, horn etc. working, finish clock mount(nearly done).
[edit]
seat was done a while ago, small cuts to keep the support across the side panels.
ImageImage
[edit]
some more pics, (when it was nearly ready)...
ImageImage
finished at last (except a few stickers), mot'd, taxed and a few test runs done.
:D :D :D :D :D it was good to get a wee blast but a little frustrating as last I used it was on track where there isn't fucty traffic.

indoor pics show colour better :? (on my screen anyway)
ImageImage
ImageImage

couple of things to do now,
Temp gauge failed, will fit Thermostat as it seems to need it for the road, PowerValve seals to fit and of course some stickers/graphics(minimal).
Last edited by KwakOn on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
.. Image ..
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Those wheels look ace in orange 8)

Whats the shock Kwakon? Is it a hagon?

Howie
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

Yes Hagon, will try the R6 swap later in year I hope.

Hagon is OK but my susp guys cant get parts to service/rebuild it and its old version and I have no tools to get it apart to clean it etc.
.. Image ..
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Really looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with this.

I love rebuilds at this stage, I think its because you get a small idea of what the final build will look like but it also lets your imagination run wild & as I intend to start my Kr1s rebuild in about oooh, six months, maybe eight, its a brilliant source of ideas.

Keep the pics coming kwakon, even the smallest detail :mrgreen:

Howie
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

I like it too 8) Interesting choice of colours.What are you thinking of doing with the bodywork
"Turned out nice again"
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

as pablo asks...what colour scheme you planning?
'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

cheers guys,

bodywork - I was quite keen on bright green, but that was to go with a black frame.

I was planning all matt black frame and brackets and fork legs, yokes etc. unfotunately it was taking me too long to get everything ready for the blaster so I just went ahead when got so much done.

painter wasnt too keen to do matt black with the engine enamel I was thinking of also "NLA in 2pac". Metallic grey (with greenish flake) also not available so the satin grey was what I went for, its a PVC paint I think he said, quite tough it seems.

I didnt remember till it was done that it is a primer colour so looks like it is waiting a final coat :lol: :oops:

the orange wheels go quite well with the grey I think, but green fairings as well... not too sure.

so now I am thinking matt black fairings with flouro green graphic and/or white, then get bright green wheels. cant really decide.

Basically I originaly wanted Black frame, Green body, White detail but "best laid plans....."
.. Image ..
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

I didnt remember till it was done that it is a primer colour so looks like it is waiting a final coat
I'm glad you mentioned that, I was going to ask what colour the frame etc will be once painted :oops:

Sorry,

Howie
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

added to first post.
.. Image ..
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

finished :D \:D/
.. Image ..
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I see you've ran a front air feed to the air box.

Where does that intake start?
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

"Where does that intake start? "

just in front, and central above the rad.

I jetted up significantly(150 I think) to use this on track which seemed fine. this was after I had munched a piston and barrel by not jetting up. it does seem a bit rich for the road as can hardly get up RAM speed :lol: .
.. Image ..
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I need to set the jets up on mine. I'll do my tests and setup on an old disused WW2 runway in a few weeks.

If you have any further information with the changes you made and plug readings etc, I would appreciate it.

The settings will be different, but it will probably give me a good base line and starting point.
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

I havent changed the jets yet - after wasting a barrel and piston first time I am happy to run rich - and havent done a lot of races. It was pulling really hard last times at the track (good weather), no speedo, 14 front sprocket and just about to top out the revs in sixth at end of straight. you definitely notice the extra top end in last three gears.

Checked the plugs last night and they are quite black but surprisingly not really oily. I was using the Iridium BR10IEX (EIX?) which I wont continue with, back to standard, maybe cooler ones.

I did run without any filter previously, but cant remember which times. Next road test will be without as I had forgotten about it #-o and this setup is meant to be no filter (unrestricted).

as you probably know - must route carb overflow and air tubes into the airbox.
I closed up the normal inlets (airbox).

and the plugs after the last race, pretty similar to first test (after ran too lean) but much cleaner than the wet race where the plugs were more oily and darker colour.
ImageImage
.. Image ..
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Yeah, I know about the breather and I too have covered my original inlets up.

I am going to run some tests and setup in a few weeks, so I'll let you know the results, as our setup should be similar under the same conditions.

I spoke the MJ a few months ago about going this route and discovered he runs an air filter.
His bike sucked up a stone one weekend and destroyed the bottom end of one of his engines.
He tested the bike on the dyno and there was no prefermance difference with or without an air filter.

I don't fancy going through that for something which can easily be avoided, so will be running an air filter.