Gear problem (sigh)

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Gear problem (sigh)

Post by vector74 »

Hi,

I started bike up today and put it into 1st gear (neutral light out) ... let clutch out and i was surprised as it didnt move lol.. tried to get bike into any gear but nothing seems to engage.. when it first happened i thought i heard it flicking through high gears (bumped it down a few and you could hear it click) but now you move it up/down and nothing seems to be there (you cant hear it click into gears) ie it stays in neutral and you can wheel it forward freely.. hilarious thing is the bike was fine last time I left it now I cant get a gear.. amazing, things go wrong when you dont even touch it.. wouldnt of minded if i had of been riding it.. the last time i rode it the gears were fine.. any idea what would cause this ?

Thanks. :cry:
kr1-s c2
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

http://www.kr-1s.co.uk/manual/Part%2008 ... ission.pdf

on page 3 (the second drawing), on the bottom left corner, there is a little spring. check if yours is ok :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

I'd second JanBros.

I noticed during assembling mine out the bike, then the spring is off the selector drum always tends to rotate to a false neutral. I wouldn't try anything with the engine running until you are happy it's ok, otherwise there's a small chance you could catch 2 gears at once :shock: :shock: :( doesn't bear thinking about.

Think you are going for the record number of posts :wink:

Good luck - hope it's an easy fix !!
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

Thanks guys for the help I will check that. I dont think it can be anything serious as I wasnt even riding the thing lol.
kr1-s c2
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

god vector you've had nearly every problem going with that bike :shock:

hope you didn't pay a lot for it :(
Smokings Good For You
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

It could be a few bits wrong. In the end of the selector drum there is a bolt which locks it into position and is held with a small dowel. This could have worked lose and the drum may not be moving. Or like me you could have left a socket in there which will stop the selector moving :lol: .

Chances are that is is something minor though. If you lean the bike over and rest the footrest onto a tool box the oil will drain to the other side and you can get into the gear selector box without dumping the oil.
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

Its fixed. Turns out I had forgotten I took the chain off and thats why it wouldnt move lol. Chain back on and moving again surprisingly with normal gear action heh.. well at least I admitted it :)
Last edited by vector74 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kr1-s c2
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

hope didn't strip it before you found that out :)
Smokings Good For You
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

I had taken off the bellypan only :) Its an easy mistake to make because you dont even see the entire top part of the chain really :wink: I think I was just too quick to assume it was banjoed.. probably because most of the time it is :)
kr1-s c2
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

10/10 for admitting it :lol: . Not so sure i would :lol: :lol:
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

vector74 wrote:Its an easy mistake to make because you dont even see the entire top part of the chain really
ok, nice of you to give your foolishness an accepteble explanation, but I'm not falling for it ....

... cause you CAN see the entire bottom part of the chain Image :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

Nice one !!!

Didn't think to ask 'have you removed your chain recently ?'

At least it wasn't anything more serious.

Makes me think of my early youth - aquiring a moped for nothing, and pushing it up and down the road trying to bump start it - never had any keys, didn't know or think about wiring, didn't think to look for a spark..............ah, happy days.

I'm sure the chain was on it though :wink:
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650