My KX1R project.....

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Another update. Finally got the crank together for balancing. I made a jig to index the crank halves to make it easier to assemble. Phasing came out perfect on the first try. \:D/ Hopefully I'll get it back later this week. I should have time to break out the tig and weld up the cases while I'm waiting.

Ready for balancing!

Speaking of balancing, I understand most of what you guys are saying. Smithy, I understand what you mean by more weight off the side opposite the pin but keep in mind the KX piston is half the weight of the RZ piston and the rod (while the same ctr to ctr length) has a smaller pin size also. There is alot of weight being reduced on the pin side, just at the piston. Not sure if that is the same though. But again, not my problem. The guy doing the balancing has that task. I just write the check. :mrgreen: Oh, KR-1R, you are correct about the balance weights. Dime a dozen here at any corner grocery store. If you need any let me know. Might be a problem posting them though. #-o :lol:

Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Whoa!!- That's a geiger counter?
EEEEK!
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Sure is! Doesn't everybody have set? :lol: Got this at a military surplus for $50. Nice little cold war relic that may be useful again soon. ](*,)

TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Jim has the balancer got a % in mind? I like your press tool, I made a similar one for 50.6mm stroke cranks with 3 holes 0 ,90 and 180 deg.
Tungsten slugs are cheap also.
crochet & croquet
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

He didn't say. He was going to give it a spin later this week to see where it's at then call with recomendations. I'll post what he says here to figure out if it's best to stay with 180 or go 90 and lose the balance shaft.
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

That is looking good Jim :D
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Back from the balance shop!! Got the crank back today. Not the way I would have done it but it better work. ](*,) Total was $440. He couldn't use the heavy metal I provided, said he didn't have a drill large enough but probably more like he wouldn't get enough money out of me if I supplied the stuff. Used 58% for the balance. I'll post a pic of the balance card after I get it scanned. After I had got it together to take in I found that the first machine shop had ground the primary gear part (where it presses on) off center. Going to cost at least another $150 to fix that. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) As soon as I find some crank bearings I'll have this together. While I'm waiting I'm going to put my spare stock crank in the cases and figure out what rod would be needed to use the stock crank with the kx cylinders as most people would have a hard time funding this crank!:roll:

Image Image

Image[/img]
Last edited by falconman on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Falconman you loose me :? I think I've caught up and then you loose me again :roll:

I am trying though......... Honest :)
"Turned out nice again"
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Just some notes: I weighed the cranks, stock and the one I'm making. Complete and ready to drop in the stock one is 5.0kg (11lbs) and the modded RZ is 5.5kg (12.14lbs). Pablo, if you want the title that bad you can have it. :lol: :lol: I'm going broke!! :cry:
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Better get going pablo, I'm widening the gap!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Why cheap machinists aren't so cheap. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Found a flux pocket in the weld he made to fill in the key slot. Now I have to cut out the entire weld to redo it since it can't be trusted. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

You can try late model RM 125 , KTM 125 and TZ125 (54mm bore) they have 110mm rods with 28mm big end eye and 19mm small end for the 15mm gudgeon pin.
crochet & croquet
Sheik Yerbouti
Heavy Smoker

Post by Sheik Yerbouti »

Christ what did he weld it with? A coat hanger and a car battery?
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Christ what did he weld it with? A coat hanger and a car battery?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Turned out nice again"
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

After about 6 months of waiting I will be going to get my crank parts back. The end throw needed to be hard chromed and reground on centers to fix the offset. The shop just keeps making excuses so time to find a new shop. Once I get the crank done the rest should go quickly as I will be doing most of it myself. I just have to have the crank to get the dimensions for the next steps. ](*,)
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Wow. Went to the machine shop to get my parts back and they were actually done! \:D/ $250 to fix the offset and add a pin so the primary gear won't spin on the crank. I'm currently getting my KR ready for the Sept race so I won't have time to play with this for a couple weeks. But now I can do final assembly of the crank and complete this project in about 2 months. [-o<