Project Ditch Salvage 2 - return to the trenches

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
r1-daz
Smoker

Post by r1-daz »

Glad to see you're still at it Abel =D>
This brings back memories of the 3 cold,lonely months i spent in the garage trying to get the exhaust to fit my kr500 ](*,)
PM me when you get chance,got a lot to catch up on.
I'm just starting a new project!!! :-$
Daz
Start The Ambulance Racing Team
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

18 hours of tin bashing for 730mm!

Not quite nikon!!!
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

looking good =D>
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Eat an easter egg, weld a section. Eat an easter egg, weld a section….repeat.
I’m approaching 19 stone!

This is just painful!
Unbelievably, the sudden dip is not a cock-up but intentional. I’ve got a fairing bracket to go under the higher part, and also I’ve got to have clearance to take the sump plug out.
I managed to make the 1st bend out if the head so tight that even the shortest exhaust retaining springs ended beyond the pipe itself, hence the comedy brackets. However, the reason the whole make your own exhaust started was to have clearance behind the front wheel at max bump – which I’ve now got . Hurrah

Image Image
not far to go now!
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

=D> =D> =D>

\:D/ getting there.
.. Image ..
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

abel, I thinnck you made a mistake : you go from 26-27-28 to 25 :-k

:mrgreen:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

JanBros wrote:abel, I thinnck you made a mistake : you go from 26-27-28 to 25 :-k

:mrgreen:
:-k :-k Nah, I think that's just a damn dodgy lookin 9. :roll:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

I think I'm loosing the will to live. The mistake was starting!
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

Phaark me youth, that is a bloody nightmare.

Me, I'd have turned the barrel around and run the bloody pipe out the back under the seat. :-k

gotta be easier than that......
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

It is with a pang of guilt that I pull this topic back to the top of the projects list, especially with such painfully slow process, but (and I don’t want to start a riot here) my new years resolution is to be less of a lurker and I’m starting early, well and ScottaKR asked!

So, first off I’ll get the grovelling excuses for slow progress out of the way!
I even took some pictures.

Excuse 1.
I got distracted when trying to get a bag-o-junk MT or maybe MTX 50 prepped for moped mayhem at the BMF. Fortunately, I had left a load of time spare as replacing head bearings took on a whole new meaning! The swing arm is std. h***a but everything else chassis wise is home brewed. 7 hacksaw blades and a pack of 10 slitting disks later……ta-da
Bearing in mind that the BMF was in May you can see how good I am at cleaning things.

If you’re not familiar with funny front ends then here’s a close up to show how it all works. It’s basically the Foale / Britten system although I’m sure they’d shudder at the connection. Mountain bike rear shock was if anything a shade stiff for such a flat track – but came with the added bonus of adjustable damping!!
Clearly that lot took up of load of ditch salvage time, I vastly underestimated that amount of time this would take. As I got more and more involved I realised a rudimentary jig of sorts would be required, and this itself took a couple of weeks worth of nights to make.

Excuse 2Just when I thought I was all finished though, and I’d get back on with ditch salvage n the frame on my TL cracked again, and had to be stripped down for welding – how cool does it look with not tail!

However, despite these distractions I have managed to make a little progress.
I’ve finished the exhaust including the brackets etc, and found and fitted a auitable radiator. As Jan did on his a TDM850 was used, just about the only thing that does not cover the exhaust port on the KX motor.
Tuners look away now when you see that the stinger splits into 2 , to allow the use of existing cans and std look. If I do manage to fit the std. body work and extend the belly pan no-one will ever know it’s not a std KR1S. Well not until they hear it maybe.
Grizzles on the wisdom of the split stinger on the back of a £5 note to my home address please. Granted it’s heavier than only 1, but this part of the pipe is not actually a tuned length so it shouldn’t upset anything. The stingers are of smaller diameter than I calculated I needed as a single – the area of the 2 is the same though. And although I guessed at it the size of the hole into the offside stinger is smaller than that on the nearside to compensate for the shorter length. Didn’t want loads of smoke coming out of one and not the other!

nearside

So that’s it for now. I’ll update again autumn next year when I’ve have got as far as fitting some new grips!
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Excellent!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

Hi NICE JOB THERE, ARE THEY ORIGINAL KR1S PIPES? HAVE YOU MODIFIED THEM, WAS JUST THINKING THEY ARE ONLY 125 TAIL PIPES IN THEORY, SO THAT MAKES 250CC NOT 500CC WILL IT NOT CREATE TO MUCH BACK PRESSURE NOT REALEASING GASES QUICK ENOUGH, IT WAS JUST A THOUGHT AS I PUT MY AR 50 MICRON TAIL PIPE ON MY CR 480R, I HAD HELL OF JOB TO START IT NOT KNOWING WHY BUT REALISED WHEN IT DID START IT SOUNDED LIKE A VINTAGE CAR WHILST TRYING TO BLOW THE FRONT PIPE OFF, OH AND YES THE KX 500 WAS A VERY QUICK MOTOR REMEMBER WATCHING DAVE THORPE ON ONE AT HAWKSTONE PARK, AND YES KAWASAKI ENGINE IN A KR1 FRAME EVEN THOUGH MY ENGINE CHOICE WOULD BE A CR500 IF NOT FOR THE SAKE OF BEING A KR1 HAD TO BE A KAWASAKI MOTOR, ANYTHING ELSE CR500 BECAUSE IVE HAD FIVE OF THEM, GEEE I DON'T ALF RATTLE ON, CHEERS WAYNE.
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Wayne - you may well be correct - expecially if you've tried it!
The question is have all the pulses gone by the time it gets to the cans? If it has and the stingers then cans really are only acting as a bleed then the 20mm internal bore of the cans equates to a single silencer with internal bore of 28mm if equivalent area is used (sqrt of [2 x 20^2] = 28mm).
I used the maths in Two stroke performance tuning by A. Graham Bell to work out the expansion chamber as well as the diameter of the stinger and silencer, and you've guessed it, dia 28 was what it came out as.
I also had a FMF fatty pipe for the 500, with a stinger which measured up the same.
Whist I will agree, silencers good enough for a 250 would not sound suitable for a 500, don't forget that the 500 maxes out at about 6,500 rpm, so in terms of gas flowed it's fairly similar to a high reving 250.
As mentioned earlier though, this is all rubbish if the flow is pulsing by the time it gets to the cans, in which case it will not work at all as thumping great 500 slugs will doubtless cause huge back pressure as you found with your 480. Oh dear.

If it doesn't work then it sounds like an excuse for another can on each side.!!!..
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

Hi well thats that sorted then you have done your home work and im just thinking out loud, but super job though, i love the 500 2 smoke singles awesome, cheers wayne.
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »