New KR project, should i break or re-build??

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
sweaving

New KR project, should i break or re-build??

Post by sweaving »

Firstly hello all! I'm a newby to this this site but thought I would join up as I just got hold of a KR1S 250.

I'm after some opinions if thats ok? The bike I have bought is a total wreck! lol, no fairing, missmatched rear panels at least an inch of road gunk and oil covering the whole engine, looks like its eaten its own air filter the last time it ran, it hasnt started for over 10 years! Some muppet seams to have been cutting wires in the loom!lol. However, the chassis does look nice and straight, and the motor turns over on the kick start.

As you can imagine this is worse than I expected! My initial intention was to restore the old girl to her former glory. However, after finding the mess I have I'm wondering if I would be better off letting her rest in pieces and breaking for spares! What do you guys think?

Cheers, Steve
Last edited by sweaving on Tue May 12, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

Hi Steve,

I'd disassemble the engine first before deciding to break or not. Then should you decide to rebuild it, you might get plenty of spares (no, not the fairing :D ) quite cheaply from the members over here. I've got a perfect loom for you free of charge, just pay the postage.

cheers,
Charles
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like youve picked up a bit of a mess, but many people have built some very nice bikes out of basket-cases like that.
Fairings can be replaced with aftermarket fibre glass stuff (or put a post in the wanted section for proper plastic stuff), the mis-matched rear panels are neither here nor there since it'll all need to be re-sprayed anyway (if you still plan to restore it to it's former glory). The engine is always best stripped down for an inspection and rebuild as required(usually at least new pistons and rings to be safe) unless you know it's history, and all that road gunk and oil will come off with a good degrease/pressure wash before you pull it down.
Pipercross make a very good (from all reports) replacement air filter.
Someone on here will most likely have a spare loom, along with any other parts you need.
The other thing to consider is getting hold of another KR and useing the best bits from both bikes to build one, and keep a few spares just in case.

Post some pics up so we can have a better idea of what your looking at.

But in short, youve come to the right place. The guys and girls on here are the friendliest and most helpful bunch of people your likely to find on the net.

Cheers, Scott.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Charles wrote:Hi Steve,

I'd disassemble the engine first before deciding to break or not. Then should you decide to rebuild it, you might get plenty of spares (no, not the fairing :D ) quite cheaply from the members over here. I've got a perfect loom for you free of charge, just pay the postage.

cheers,
Charles
There ya go Steve,
In the time it took me to write my long-winded message, you already have a solution for the loom issue.
As I said, Best bunch of people on the net!

Cheers, Scott.

PS. Charles, your a true gentleman. =D>
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
sweaving

Post by sweaving »

ok im conviced, think i will try and breath some life back into her then! and wow cheers for the offer on the loom! top guy. think i may take you up on that offer when i get to that stage,

i have allready started taking things apart working my way towards dropping the motor out. took 3 hours to strip and service the carbs alone so far..lol, and 2 hours last night stripping and servicing the power valve servo motor, this could be a long haul.

i will post some pics later on tonight to have a giggle at..lol.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

sweaving wrote: i will post some pics later on tonight to have a giggle at..lol.
You're gonna top Abel's project ditch salvage? :D

viewtopic.php?t=2768&highlight=

cheers,
Charles
sweaving

Post by sweaving »

Well i think mines a bit worse off..lol, it had been stood long enough for mice to move in as well!..lmao..

alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Did you buy it from a seaman :?: It Looks like its been used as a ships anchor :lol: Seriously though there have been a lot broken so there are a lot of very average parts available & for what I see on ebay The carbs are the only thing you can get good money for. fairing is your main problem, all the rest can be sourced if you give it time.
Good luck either way. Alan
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

A miracle that the engine still turns over :shock:

I myself would try to rebuild it, so if you do and want my loom, just send a pm.

cheers,
Charles
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tripitaka »

Hi Steve,

I recognise that bike,I was going down to Bob's Monday morning to have a chat about it,but you had beat me to it. :cry:

Good luck with the rebuild mate,mine is happening at the same time,probably in the same city.

I say 'break her' then pm me your address and I'll be round with the van :mrgreen:
If you have a Parking Ticket or Speeding Ticket take a look at PePiPoo. Helping the Motorist get Justice.
sweaving

Post by sweaving »

Yeh, its the one bob was selling, he likes a good chat doesnt he!..lol..some good news on the bike front, the rad still had all its coolant in and in a good clean oil free state! the gear box still had the correct level oil in, how suprised and pleased was I!..hehe. Exhausts are nakered tho! humpf, took them off earlier to find they have rusted right through in alot of places.
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Looks like a "quick action throtttle" perhaps the engine has been "tuned" at some point? good luck with the rebuild
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

throttle looks std to me, could be the angle. i see what you mean though. thats worth restoring. the satisfaction will make your efforts worthwhile. budget for new bearings/seals throughout though and the engine will definitly require ne everything.
sweaving

Post by sweaving »

it is a std throttle, think it has been broken up a bit at some point and then repaired with a metal plate.

the engine will defo need all new seals & gaskets, judging by the amount of oil the engine is platered in..lol,

Things are moving along ok so far tho. hopfully drop the engine out over the weekend and see what the damage is.

if anyone is interested in an RVF400 race bike build, i will put a like up a link later this evening.hehe
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Good luck with the rebuild Steve.Does'nt look any worse than the one we started with apart from the body work that your missing which is a pity.
Take your time and enjoy it you'll find all the info and help you'll need on here
Paul