Red White KR1

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Red White KR1

Post by Tripitaka »

Hello to all reading this,

I just bought a KR1250B.It's a bit rough on the paint side but everything seems to be there and in fair condition under all the oil.

The strip down has started,sorry forgot to take pics of it complete,but here are a few when I did remember.These are phone pics but the rest will be camera.

There are a few bits missing already but I'll post my needs in the wanted section later.

This could be a long project but I'll try and keep you posted how it's going and hopefully it'll be done before the end of summer.

I think I want to keep everything original not sure if I'll ruin it by changing the paint job etc. What do you reckon?

I have been lurking here for a while and by chance met up with BobbyBoy over at Abergavenny the other week (hi bobby) I'm usually there some time over the weekend on my Mk1Bandit or YPVS,maybe I'll see you there too.

All suggestions and tips welcomed.Thanks for reading.
If you have a Parking Ticket or Speeding Ticket take a look at PePiPoo. Helping the Motorist get Justice.
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Looks like a good starting point, A Lot better than some that have been rebuilt on here. I tried to walk away from the last one I bought ! it was so bad, ended up buying it on the strength that the engine kicked over. The previous owner should have been given a prize " for the most inappropriate household objects holding a motorcycle together :roll: :lol:...... Anyway you should get good help with parts.
Alan
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tripitaka »

Cheers Alan,

Almost got it stripped down now and it's looking in fairly good nick.I'll post a few more pics soon.

I can hardly wait to ride this bike so I'll probably end up using some S bits so I can get some miles on it this summer :roll: then try and source the original parts through the winter.

Neil.
If you have a Parking Ticket or Speeding Ticket take a look at PePiPoo. Helping the Motorist get Justice.
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tripitaka »

So far so good..oil where it should be..water where it should be..no combinations of the two anywhere.

There are one or two strange looking things though..

This is the first time I've stripped down a two stroke for many years and so far it's been good times....well apart from the damn garage having no electricity.

As you can see there's not much space in there..or light if the sun's not shining...roll on summer.

Gotta laugh though...unscrewed both plugs with my fingers :shock:

Any ideas on the make of these exhausts? I ask because they seem very short...the end of the can only just passes the rear hanger.

And if I may be so bold as to ask two questions..When do you respray a frame? Every time you rebuild one or only if they are rough?

I'll get a look at the engine over the weekend...er well maybe not...just remembered it's WSBK and MotoGP this weekend....ah well maybe next week.

:D
Neil
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Hi Tripi,
Interesting bodge-job you found on the rear sprocket. Wonder why they didnt just get the right one instead of going to all that trouble. :-k
As for when to re-spray the frame, the answer is when you feel like it. :wink: If it's all stripped down anyway, you may as well give it a paint (or send off to be powdercoated) as the finished bike will look much better than if the frame is scratched or has chips (especially if the fairings are being painted as well).
I take it from the pics that it was origionally green/white. Interesting that youve chosen to go for the red/white scheme instead, as you don't see a lot of them around (not that you see a lot of KR's around full-stop).
Keep up the work, and see if you can get a rechargable flood light or something so you can see in there. :mrgreen:

Cheers, Scott.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

The exhausts look like Gibsons to me, they mount like that and are short and fat. They should weigh f**k all. I never ran them on my bike but they give a bit more midrange but you lose a bit at the top. Should sound excellent.
Keep up the good work,

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tripitaka »

Thanks for the kind words...lets just hope that the bodging is only on the exterior...chain had a split link in it too.

Scott,I guess the bike was originally red and white because the rear seat is red (under the black) and the inside of the fairing is also red (under the black) so I decided to put it back to original.

Although after seeing them with black frame..swinger..forks..yokes etc I think the black may go better with this paint scheme...I like the silver on the green and white model.

Mike,yes they do weigh f**k all...so they may be Gibsons eh? I have a set of standard KR1 pipes for it now so may sell these in the future...any idea how much these pipes sell for?

I'm off to finish stripping the frame down now....might even bring the engine to the house and strip it in the 'summer :roll: house' seeing as it's not getting much use yet.

:)
Neil
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Tripitaka wrote:So they may be Gibsons eh? Any idea how much these pipes sell for?

l
I had a set in good nick I paid £120 for, then sold them for £100 #-o
The guy I sold them to sold them on ebay for £80 so :?: Perhaps somewhere around £100 especially with those nice stubby cans.

Mike
frog32
Premix Junkie

Post by frog32 »

I have a set of standard KR1 pipes for it now so may sell these in the future...any idea how much these pipes sell for?
it short there worthfuck all i junked 3 sets of kr1 pipes to the scrapman put your gibsons on or a good set of kr1s pipes or if your feeling flush buy a set of lomas pipes

lee
2 strokes our way of life :-)
bobbyboy
Smoker

Re: Red White KR1

Post by bobbyboy »

Tripitaka wrote: I have been lurking here for a while and by chance met up with BobbyBoy over at Abergavenny the other week (hi bobby) I'm usually there some time over the weekend on my Mk1Bandit or YPVS,maybe I'll see you there too.

All suggestions and tips welcomed.Thanks for reading.
Good to have met you Neil :P
Glad to see your posting up at last \:D/
Dont envy your workshop conditions though :shock:
Must stop buying any more bikes,
Oh go on then, maybe one more.....

Fairing plastics at www.taffmoto.co.uk
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Re: Red White KR1

Post by Tripitaka »

Out come the power valves only to find there are 3 with the nipple and collar and 1 without...is this normal?

bobbyboy wrote:Dont envy your workshop conditions though :shock:
I'm working on that...trying to find a small workshop somewhere.

Neil
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

The one on the right is correct, the other looks home-made or off a completely different bike :shock:
I think they are nla but they pop up on ebay occasionally.

Mike
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

The one on the left looks "home made" to me, definatly not a KR1 or "S" Item, they are still available from Mr "K" If you need the kips valve seals let me know I can supply them for £10.00 a set including postage. Think they are about £7.50 each from Kawasaki!!
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tripitaka »

home made
:mrgreen: anyone got a power valve they can sell me?

Tripitaka wrote:..lets just hope that the bodging is only on the exterior..
Oh well,can't win 'em all...

Neil
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tripitaka »

Seems to be quite tricky getting hold of power valves..is it possible to machine them out of aly?

I got another nooby question too..where do you get your barrels plated?

ooh and another..anyone know of a good crank re-build service?

Thanks for the offer Kwackman..I'll contact you when I'm ready for them.

Neil