Touring on a KR-1R...?

General queries KR Bikes
James P
Heavy Smoker

Touring on a KR-1R...?

Post by James P » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:27 am

I found a feature in a Japanese magazine from 2017 about a tour of Hokkaido the previous year. This photo caught my eye:

The owner, Yoshiro Fukuya of Sakai City, Osaka, had apparently toured Hokkaido 22 times previously and was along for the ride again in 2016 for his 23rd time. The article doesn't mention whether he had ridden the KR-1R those previous 22 times. This article was/is Part 2 of the feature, Part 1 being printed in the previous month's issue of the magazine (which I haven't got).

The 'blurb' underneath the photo just mentions drinking and meeting old friends and new - nothing about the bike. There was no mention of the bike in the rest of the (short) article either, although there were photos of some of the other participants and their bikes. Machinery was a mix of different types, but there were no other two-strokes shown. The next least likely touring bike was a CBR250RR...

Regards,
James

podman
Heavy Smoker

Re: Touring on a KR-1R...?

Post by podman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:05 pm

Rather him than me, Mike and me did a few miles (far from a tour thou) on his "R" when we went to Spa in the Summer and it was a neck and wrist killer, as they all are...!

Marty_Rillo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Marty_Rillo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm

I've done two tours on my kr1s.
It's actually very good as it's quite roomy!
I did a lot pf miles this year on it, from Aberdeen to cadwell, two days on track, then back to Aberdeen via morpeth, Dumfries and Galloway, and Glen coe.
Highly recommend anyone to do it.
As it's only a bike, and if it pops fix it!!
Martin

podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Fair play to you Martin, you must take the highest miles award figure for a UK KR owner anyway? Then again, living where you do, you have to travel quite a way to make most events I guess.

I wish I did find comfy but ive had to ditch the sportsbikes this year as the bod cried enough, the KR was the worst out of the bunch for me, the RD500 next but my 350LC I find really is super comfy and I do take that on the longer trips.

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:39 pm

just put a normal steer on your KR, that is the best fun bike you can have.

8)
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:48 pm

That would sure extend the fun for me thats for sure, I think you have done with the KR was Yamaha kind of did with the TZR mutating into a TDR250 , love it.