Tell Me How Stupid I Am?!?!

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
the_bard
Smoker

Tell Me How Stupid I Am?!?!

Post by the_bard »

Hi complete noob on the forum but i've owned a KR-1S for about 15 months now (my first bike btw). When i bought it the bloke i got it off gave me a bunch of spares including a nearly complete spare engine the only things its missing are the kickstarter the clutch cover and the water pump cover. Now comes the stupid bit... I'm getting in to casting aluminium. And the engine on my bike atm, whilst running fine, i believe needs some serious gasket work (well the gearbox does leaking a bit of oil from the right and left) so i'm going to try casting my own spares from the origanals on the working engine when i pull it apart to replace the gaskets...
Slightly crazy you think...
Now comes the really stupid bit.
why not do a proper job of it and make myself some new cylinders and pistons but wait for it, increase the bore by about 1.549X thereby making my baby a kickarse KR600-1S... I do realise that I would probably have to modify the crankcase as well to do this but I just wanted everyones opinion on this.
I probably should also point out that I absolutly love to try to run before i can even bloody stand up...
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I think trying to make a 600 out of a 250 is a bit too extreme (would be awsome if possible though :twisted: ).
Maybe a 350 or 400 (like the 428cc Cheetah kit for YPVS motors) could be more feasable (without haveing to mod the cases too much), and youd probably have a few people wanting to buy kits for their bikes. The other thing youll have to watch would be your port timings which may need to be altered to suit the engines new characteristics. You could even look into a more modern port layout.

OK, now you mentioned that you'd be casting pistons as well, and I was wondering if youd be able to cast up replacement pistons for the KR250 Tandem Twin (as they arnt available anywhere), and if so, how much you think it would cost.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
the_bard
Smoker

Post by the_bard »

to be honest this was a off the top of my head suggestion have thought about a bit but the 600cc figure was just my thinking (i think 250 600 1000 1400, very four stroke i know sorry :oops: ) what i would of course have to do would be to measure the clearenced of the connecting rods and figure out what the largest size pots i could fit in would be. couple of other points would probably make a new cast crankcase rather than mod the origanal much better more chances to stuff it up:P! and a one piece block rather than the stock 2 piece. of course the head would need to be modded as well however for the port timing since i'm leaving the stroke depth the same i would assume that the timing should be relitivly simalar... not entirly sure just guessing. the other thing is oil flow??? do you think you would need to increase it and if so how much?
now the cast alulminium 250 pistons i really have no idea how much they'd cost what i do know though is that the man hours would be the only real cost because i just grab my scrap from used lawnmowers ect. perfecto of course some people might not be too rapt with this method and i certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for destroing someones bottom end... so for the moment at least it will probs only be a me thing only. although if i can get em working properly i well certainly peddle them if their unavailable else where
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

welcome to the forum.

to answer your question : pretty stupid in my opinion :idea: :mrgreen:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
the_bard
Smoker

Post by the_bard »

thanks
still always worthwhile getting someone else to tell you :mrgreen:
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

It sounds higly ambitious, rather stupid and you will probably encounter lots of problems along the way, but what the hell - just because its highly ambitious and difficult, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Just forge ahead in the true spirit of British engineering and ingenuity (assuming that is you are British)

...hats off to you for even thinking about it =D>
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Let's for one moment assume that you know what you're talking about, and have managed to get a little further than I.

Some questions for you.
What are you going to use to melt the stuff in? How far along have you got with manufacture of said item.
What are you going to use as a mould? do you have access to sand are are you going for the old cat litter and olive oil trick?
What are you going to melt for cylinder castings?
What are you going to melt for piston castings?

Where do you live? I'm not trying to stalk you or anything - the reason I ask is because I have access to farily large quantities of scrap LM13, LM16 and possibly LM25. LM13 is the low expansion stuff used for pistons.
But, as it comes in 4 kg lumps you don't want to be posting it - that's why I ask were you live.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

from the bards posts i sense a wind-up merchant :-k
Smokings Good For You
the_bard
Smoker

Post by the_bard »

right scooble thanks for the support :) i like the idea of spirit in engineering however i'm australian.
Able - melting the stuff i use a home foundry that i made out of some old beer kegs does the job quite nicely. though if by the "item" you mean what i'm trying to do then it's still on the drawing board.
-the mould i use this stuff called greensand it's a mix of brickies sand and fireclay holds it's shape really well even under heat of molten aluminium (round 600 to 700 celcius), don't actually know what the old cat litter and olive oil truck is.
cylinder and piston castings will be melted from their respective components from old busted engines obviously a good compisition and free.
i live in australia, victoria.
thanks for the offer but i'll probably try to get the project moving on a little first like i said i still have to cast some stock parts for my spary to get it running which could be a bit coz i really don't wanna pull my other apart atm because i don't have another bike to ride... i'll get to it eventually though.
finally garry - you'll just have to wait and see wont you!?!?!

p.s. sorry about the late replys actually thought i'd posted this the other day but must have pushed preview instead of submit man i hate retyping stuff.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

shouldnt scoff

lets not forget what John Britten ended up doing in his back yard

just build a big V from motox cylinders - outsource the casting and CNCing for the cases etc.

do all the modelling on computer.

Patton or Motocyz anyone
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

not scoffing but a bit of a reality check needed i think

just build a big V from motox cylinders - outsource the casting and CNCing for the cases etc.

do all the modelling on computer
don't think i'd bother doing all this based around a 20year old design
- unless i had more money than sense #-o
Smokings Good For You
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Bard - I was being serious, I didn't know how far down the home casting line you'd got. If your furnace is working and you've got some decent sand then brilliant, the rest is just what imagination you've got and what sort of scrap rate you're happy to put up with until you get so hacked off you hurl the whole lot over the neighbours fence.

I've had a go at this myself, with a furnace made up out of an old butane cylinder, some concrete, a hoover and some sticks! There's something entirely medieval about having molten metal running about on the floor. There's something medieval about the language you use when you spill some down your sock!

I had a load of hassle with casting sand, and even tried a recipe I got off the net involving cat litter and olive oil. This is not a joke. The cat didn't think is was anyway.
I'm amazed that I was even slightly surprised when the whole lot caught fire.
Do you make yours up yourself or buy it?

And something else. Without ruining this thread we should probably discuss John Britten. National treasure - definitely. But, if you've only seen the TV documentary then read the biography by someone Hannah I think. Puts a lot more information into the mix.
Oh, and if you've only read the book then watch the documentary.
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

But, if you've only seen the TV documentary then read the biography by someone Hannah I think. Puts a lot more information into the mix.
That's Tim Hanna. ISBN: 1877333085
the_bard
Smoker

Post by the_bard »

abel -
i was being serious too i have a backyard foundry made from 2 beer kegs with an insulating layer about 8 cm thick made of a mix of cement sand vermiculite and fire clay. my mums a ceramicist so i have clay crucibles ect. on hand whenever i need them.
Your absolutly correct about the scrap rate air pockets stupid metal starting to solidify before it all gets poured in the mould. gah but your right about just how cool it really is although i can't say i've actually had the pleasure of pouring some down my sock. on the other hand i weld in shorts a t-shirt and barefeet... and slag hurts like a bitch, so i'm guessing worse than that.
I make up the sand myself it's pretty easy just get some moist brickies sand (for those who don't know this is a sand with largish amounts of clay in it used for mortar mix (hence the name)) and keep adding fireclay till it can hold a shape reasonably well when squeezed.
Question what did you fire your burner with i got this great idea off this website http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html (actually i got most of the ideas for my foundry off this site) to use waste oil to fire the furnace, hook a leaf blower up to it and bob's your uncle. took a bit of fiddling to get right though.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

the_bard wrote: website http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html actually i got most of the ideas for my foundry off this site
That's an interesting link, thanks :D

@Dirk, got some waste oil to get rid off? :mrgreen:

Charles