The Next Performance Bike 90's Trackday

Tell us where to meet you!
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

The Next Performance Bike 90's Trackday

Post by the-elf »

Right it's on Sunday May 24th. I'll be working down on the Isle of grain but I'm going to come home and have a play at Cadwell for this one. Is anyone else up for it? Bar is open on the night before if you fancy camping over?
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Mmm... £119 is a bit of a price hike over last year. Thought inflations was about 3%?
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

The worse price hike is the £5 spectator fee which isn't good. Been on the PB forum and they said its the curcuit/trackday organisers who have hiked the price, but they will see what they can do about it. I thought we were going into deflation :-k .

Anyway still got the engine rebuild to do although I have all the parts (providing I can find the new small end bearings, which have disappeared ATM). So got plenty to do and I still need a tow bar on the car for the odd outing when I can't get the use of a company van.

I'll have to pop back to PB land and see what's going on about the prices. /me will be back soon with some news :lol:
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
duncanoakes
Smoker

Post by duncanoakes »

I'm booked in with my kr1s,

waiting to fit track fairings and have the engine rebuilt with fears of blowing it up if i don't

really looking forward to it

will be down the night before with the tent
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Built properly the engines are bullet proof. In 11 years racing plus plenty of trackdays I have had 3 serious failures I can recall.

1st going to pre-mix for the first time it seized at Mallory - problem not enough fuel in the tank causing the engine on the left cylinder to go weak when going round Gerrards resulting in a seizure. Fix was longer fuel lines and put more tank in the fuel.

2nd drilled the oil holes in the TZ pistons in the wrong place plus ran the bike on the wrong gearing (didn't have the sprockets) at Snett. I did tell the rider not to over rev which he did - result it nipped up at the end of the straight

3rd It broke a ring last season - my fault for using pistons for 2 and 1/2 years about 5000 race miles. Ring was only about 300miles old prob was ring groove on the piston had worn allowing the ring to snag.

If running stock pistons make sure you warm the engine up properly before nailing it. Other failure point is the head gasket I always use a h***a sealer as well as the gasket. The sealer fills a gap left between the head and barrel where I have seen a lot of detonation take place. Use a quality high octane fuel and oil. For pump I use TTS for premix A747 at 30:1.

Spend a bit of time on your brakes new fluid and pads - cadwell is hard on brakes and it is easy to boil them if they are not tip-top.
duncanoakes
Smoker

Post by duncanoakes »

I have just replaced brake lines with goddridge braided items, new fluid etc etc. the bike has fresh disks and pads also so think the brakes will be fine,
the engine is the annoying bit for me, I have only had fourstrokes in the past so am not in the mentality of rebuilding engines. My kr1s runs like a dream, no funny noises, starts first or second kick with out problems, maintains a steady temperature etc etc, but because i don't know when iot was last rebuilt anyone that knows what they are talking about strongly advises having it taken apart just to be sure, on the basis repairing a blown engine is much more costly than whipping the top of and replacing pistons / rings if nessecary,

can't wait for the track day, hope theres a few kr1's there
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I'm planning on being there, just not booked it yet, but I will do soonish. What group are you in? I'll slot into either fast or Inters, but as this could well be the first outing on the new engine perhaps I'll end for the inters till she is run in.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Booked in advanced group - going huntin' R1 :)

Didn't book any spectators at £5 each.

Booking conformation says I can bring spectators for free :)
dsnelly
Heavy Smoker

Re: The Next Performance Bike 90's Trackday

Post by dsnelly »

What happened about the Credit Crunch Then im just a poor old plumber with a 18 year old classic :lol:
Two Shhhmoking Barrels
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Just got hit today with a £120 bill for my daughter's school sking trip (a present from my wife :( ) which is due tomorrow, so I won't be booking it now till next payday.

I'll be there though and with a new topend, which I need to fit before I start work in Kent (I start there in a weeks' time till the middle of July). I'll probably book into the inters, or if its full then I'll just hang a "running In please pass slowly" :lol: notice on the back on me leathers for the first few sessions and follow MJ around in the fast group.

Still need to get the bike on the dyno to get her set up with the new cylinders and buy a tow bar for the car. ( the wife crashed the people carrier and I am left ATM with borrowing a van from work to move the bike any where).
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Re: The Next Performance Bike 90's Trackday

Post by the-elf »

dsnelly wrote:What happened about the Credit Crunch Then im just a poor old plumber with a 18 year old classic :lol:
Never heard of a poor plumber before :wink: , Hope you can make it as well.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

gonna go for this one i reckon. have made plans to get to the pb trackday in aug but cant book until ive got entry fee's/ a few bits n pieces covered. a few kr's, how many that be up to press?oh, who was at cadwell on monday with a green kr1s?
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

I will be on the road bike lights number plate the lot :wink:
duncanoakes
Smoker

Post by duncanoakes »

booked in on the novice group, maybe being a bit harsh on myself,
only my 4 th track day and will be the 2nd time i have ridden the kr1s in anger.
didn't want to be a rolling road block in the faster groups

can't wait

bike will be in fresh all green livery thanks to some new track fairings,

didn't want to ruin the all original black and green fairings
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Very sensible - the stuff I have though it is road and looks ok from a distance is damaged. I wouldn't dream of using my good road stuff.