Race wheels 'n' tyres

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Elvis Parsley
lurker

Race wheels 'n' tyres

Post by Elvis Parsley »

Hi guys, first post up and it's a never ending one it seems. Just bought back my old Kr1s race bike from the 90's and going to luv it up and get back on the track for a "can he kick it" trackday for old times sake. The bike is still the same as it was the day we sold it over ten years ago...even the old scruitineering stickers are still on the screen.

Had loads of trouble with it in the handling department way back when as it was one of the first to have a 17" rear wheel. Could never get it to steer well enough. My question is this; I've never been a fan of over tyreing a bike and and I'm torn with putting the 18" rear back in or sticking with the 17 and fitting tie rods which are now available I gather. I want to run a 110 section front tyre in the dry on the standard rim. Has anyone run a pirelli corsa front bridgestone 090 rear combination in the dry? Are the 18" bridgestone wets still on sale?

There always seems to be a compromise on tyre size/rim size compatibility issue unless you run a 3.5 front and 4.5 or larger rear rim! What's the doo with you track boys?

Sorry it's a well worn posting but something definitive would be good....I know it's open to opinion but I'll soak up the advice anyhoo.

Thankyouverymuch! Cilla says High by the way!
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

I run Dunlop alphas with standard wheels they warm up very quickly & are far more capable than me! think you will be suprised how far tyres have come on in ten years :mrgreen: Try Sean at www.thetuningworks.com
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

I'm with you on " over tyring " I've done it a couple of times,,,,,
Never been happy. As kwackman says, If you've been away for 10 yrs your in for a big surprise how much tyres have jumped forward. Alan.
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
duncanoakes
Smoker

Post by duncanoakes »

i have a similar issue in that i want to get a set of wets for the standard wheels, can you get an 18" wet from any one?
i have looked at metzeler, pirelli, dunlop and bridgestone and none seem to list anything, although bridgestones websote is rubbish
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I always thought that the grip from the old Avon AM22/23's was quite good, however, it did make them quite twitchy :!:
I now use Alpha 10's and no longer need a steering damper, although, I did crash at Cadwell..... :-k
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

I believe the saying goes "a good workman or woman never blames his/her tools"? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

For standard forks I ran With a ZXR400 front wheel adapted to fit the narrower forks with a 120 profile tyre. On the rear I had an RGV VJ22 17"dia 0 4.5" rear wheel with a 160 profile tyre. I later swapped the front forks for a ZXR400 H model set up (stem swap needed, and my forks are dropped 15mm though the yokes) and when I had the cash a 5" Dymag rear.

Tie bars need to be 6mm shorter (IIRC, it could be longer) than standard to return the suspension to the orginal ride height, Add an R6 or a proflex rear shock and they are slightly longer as well and will give it even better turn in.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk