Tyres for racing?

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
custard

Tyres for racing?

Post by custard »

Hi there everyone! I'm so glad I've found this forum!

I've just started digging my old track KR1S out of the back of my garage and I'm planning on returning to racing next year for a few meetings, especially the BEMSEE 100th Anniversary in April. (I just wanted to remind them the KR1S ain't dead yet :wink: )

Now I know there's a million and one questions on here about tyres, but I really need to know for sure what's used for racing these days. I'm sure the old Avon AM's have been well superseded by now as the last time I raced the old girl was in 2000. They're standard wheels as I never got round to the RGV wheel conversion at the time, instead I just bought an RGV.

Any tips from some racers on here? Thanks in advance :D
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Hi "Custard" & welcome to the forum, Havent raced on them but done a few trackdays on Dunlop Alphas, warm up quick & nice & sticky about £160.00 a set
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
custard

Post by custard »

Thanks "kwackman12"

I'll give them a go :D

I expect you'll be seeing a fair bit of me over the coming months as I get the old girl back up and running.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I hear some of the racers use Michelin SM's. Basically, a slick with a few grooves cut into the center. Not road legal, but eligible for forumla 250.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

scooble wrote:I hear some of the racers use Michelin SM's. Basically, a slick with a few grooves cut into the center. Not road legal, but eligible for forumla 250.
Yep but you'll need a 17" rear for the SM tyres and they really need a 5" or a 5 1/4" wide rear wheel but they do fit in a standard RGV rear wheel.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
custard

Post by custard »

the-elf wrote:
scooble wrote:I hear some of the racers use Michelin SM's. Basically, a slick with a few grooves cut into the center. Not road legal, but eligible for forumla 250.
Yep but you'll need a 17" rear for the SM tyres and they really need a 5" or a 5 1/4" wide rear wheel but they do fit in a standard RGV rear wheel.
I was wondering about that with the Michelins, I never really got on with them in the past, I used to find they gripped really well until they suddenly let go, unlike the Dunlops which used to give better feedback and were more forgiving to the slightly less well honed rider. I assume the Dunlops are gonna be similar to the old intermediate 364s that I used to use on the RGV. Which sadly I don't own any more as I'd borrow the wheels off've that if I did.

So if the Dunlops fit on standard KR-1S wheels then, nice, if they're any where near as good as the 364's.

Really appreciating the feedback! Thanks :D
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I have a set of K364 as my inters, not as good as the SM's in the dry, but on a damp track they are better.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk