Modified shock mount

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Modified shock mount

Post by Red Devil 777 »

As most of you know, I've probably tried more swing arms than god knows what :lol:

Anyway, the thing that stops most fitments is the fact that on the KR the shock lies on a bit of a slope compared with some others and the spring tends to clout the swingarm. So I've come up with this

The basic idea is to push the shock backwards to stand more upright and also as I'm going to be using an r6 shock to compensate for the slightly extra length so I can use std KR dogbones and wheel etc.

Bare in mind it's the prototype and it still needs the end bits machining round (plus a bit machining out of the centre section for clearance on the actual shock.)

But fit is spot on and it bolts up solid using the original shock mounting bolt.

This should then allow zxr250, szr660, tzr1254dl/hw swingers to go in without any clearance problems on the spring. They all have the advantage that the bottom shock mounts are very close to the kr and only need a couple of spacers making.

This is how it looks fitted

Could also help with just mounting an r6 shock, save on new dogbones and having to mess with altering the bush as I could get them made to fit the original Yam bush.

No I've no idea if this is going to work, I'll keep you posted :lol: To be honest if I get anymore done I think I might get the top extended a bit so it could be drilled and the frame tapped so it would be even more solid.
Code has been done for it so should be able to churn them out if needed.
The last time Liverpool Fc won the league, George Michael was black and Michael Jackson was straight or visa versa, it's that long ago I get confused.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

it's always the simple things that impress :idea:

be interesting to see how that works out mark 8)
Smokings Good For You
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I like the idea =D>

but there might be one problem : forces on the transverse support between both frame-bars will be higher (+/- doubled looking at it) because off the extra length.

when running it the first times, I'd check it regularly to make sure your not about experincing something that would make a good laugh on youtube :lol: :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I will be interested to hear how you get on with this.
I also considered this option whn I fitted the barced RGV swing arm, because I found out that the R6 resevoir clouted the bracing on full compression.
I talked over the idea of an extension with my machinist, but, like Jan, we also considered that the twisting forces about the fixed mount would be much higher than standard.
In the end, I had a u section cut out of the swingarm and re-welded with a thick alloy plate.
As you said, making the shock mounting position much higher would make fitting an alternative rear shock much easier (for choice)
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

I agree with your comments, when it's all in place I'm going to get a strengthening bar welded in across to the two main spars so it returns to normal if you know what I mean :lol:
The last time Liverpool Fc won the league, George Michael was black and Michael Jackson was straight or visa versa, it's that long ago I get confused.