The project begins (finally)

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

The project begins (finally)

Post by ScottaKR »

Well, I finally started to do something with one of my KR's. :roll:

Got around to giving the frame and rims a quick paint over this weekend, and can now start bolting things together.

The paint work is far from perfect, but that dosn't worry me greatly since I don't intend on building it as a show bike. I just want to build it as a nice respectable bike so I can enjoy riding it, rather than constantly cleaning and polishing it. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for people like Martin, Waky, etc that have built absolutely stunning bikes =P~ =P~ , but I just want something to play around on for now.
I already have a nice red/white set of panels for it which just need a small repair on the top left of the front fairing (will need a new red/black triangle decal).
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

looks like you got yourself off to a good start,look forward to more piccys........
'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........
wakasaki
Heavy Smoker

Post by wakasaki »

:D
=D>
Good on ya Mate....
Atleast you have the start...

Keep at it....even if its an Hour a night..

G

Ps Ta...thats short for Thanks...Ta
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Ta guys. :D

It's been a little hard to start building this since I dont have a workshop or even a garage, but since I have a spare room in the house now I've decided to assemble it in there.
Just don't tell the landlord :-$ 8-[
KR1 Red/White
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

the finish is cracking scott. never liked silver wheels until now. the finish looks very diffrent, quite glossy. what you thinking for the main colour?
Kr1stofer
Smoker

Post by Kr1stofer »

Hi Scott,

I love your attitued towards your bike, mines the same - I love looking at concours condition bikes and have utmost repect for the people who have the time, money, space and patience to do it.

That said, i paid relatively little for my 1S and i really just wanna tidy it here and there and get out on the damn thing - my bike just 'aint worth spending too much money on.

Nice work so far mate.

Cheers, Kris.
Team Issac Hunt Racing
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

mgtkr1 wrote:the finish is cracking scott. never liked silver wheels until now. the finish looks very diffrent, quite glossy. what you thinking for the main colour?
It's just an aerosol wheel silver I used on the frame and rims. Planning on using the factory red/white panels I have already. I decided to do the rims silver as I felt there was too much red on the factory scheme standard.
Heading off in a few mins to look at a KR1S that's been raided for parts. Planning on picking up whats left :oops: .I seriously need to ban myself from Ebay. [-X
KR1 Red/White
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

you've done the hard bits

replace as many old fasteners as you can rebuilding and you should
have a tidy bike 8)
Smokings Good For You
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

im planning on spraying my bike (track hound) in red/white kr1 colours with black (or dark coloured dymags when i get some!!) wheels. im using tz bodywork but still think the red/white colour looks the bollox. i love std ish kr1's in red/white. im trying to get a std as poss style paintjob on the smoother body work. lets hope it works. as for not spending too much on a road bike, im with you as they can get to the stage were your frightened to ride it. its poss to make a very tidy kr without breakin the bank. martins and waki's bike are stunning though.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

#-o #-o #-o
Can someone PLEEEAAASSSE help me.
Is there any sort of internet filter that will stop me from searching for KR's on bloody EVILbay :?:
I just brought home another half bike (no motor or plastics), which brings the total counting by frames (short on good top ends) up to 4 KR1's and 2 KR1-S's. :oops: I think the term is "cleptomaniac" 8-[
Looks like once the KR1 road bike is done, it'll be straight onto a KR1-S track bike. :D

Edit: Progress report. :roll:

Not much progress tonite. :( Swingarms now loosely bolted on, and discs (they're damn near new) have been cleaned and fitted to the rims.
Tomorrow I plan to start on the rear suspension, but not sure if it's worth swaping to the 1S rear shock since I'll have one spare (track 1S is getting the R6 conversion) Are they any better for a street bike, or should I just stick with the standard unit? :-k
Last edited by ScottaKR on Mon May 26, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KR1 Red/White
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

i love the look of the silver wheels =D>

must pull my finger out with mine. tho i have got some face masks so i can polish more stuff without suffering the after effects of have a nose full of dust lol.

if i had my own garage id have a few more KR's in various states of repair im sure
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

ScottaKR wrote:#-o #-o #-o
I just brought home another half bike (no motor or plastics), which brings the total counting by frames (short on good top ends) up to 4 KR1's and 2 KR1-S's.
Edit: Progress report. :roll:
Your beating me cause by frames I've only got 3 KR1S's and no KR1's as I sold them. but if I go by engine's (bearing in mind most of them are in various stages of being stripped and /or rebuilt) I've got two KR1's and 3 KR1S's

Tomorrow I plan to start on the rear suspension, but not sure if it's worth swaping to the 1S rear shock since I'll have one spare (track 1S is getting the R6 conversion) Are they any better for a street bike, or should I just stick with the standard unit? :-k
The KR1S shock has more damping than the KR1 one. It is the better of the two but the chances are they will both need the oil replacing and regassing. To be honest every one I've tried to have rebuilt properly has been a waste of time as they were too badly worn to be worth rebuilding. Factor in that the cost of refurbishing a 19 year old shock your probably better off with an aftermarket one unless you want a standard bike?
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Thanks for that elf.
I'll just put the best of what stock shocks I have in it for the time being, learn it's habits, then try the R6 conversion on it.
As for engines, I got 3 complete engines atm (only 1 1S though), and 4 more that have either damaged or missing barrels/top-ends. \:D/
KR1 Red/White
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

although not the perfect solution, the r6 shock is probably the best thing you can do for the money. not as good as an ideally setup bespoke/aftermarket shock ohlins/wp/proflex etc but 10x better than the worn std unit. it has damping still as its new, although i think re-springing is needed to get the best from it. they can be bought for as little as 50 pounds. i thought the diffrence between the std shock vs r6 was noticeable even though it was not compared properly ie ridden under track conditions. the r6 been much closer to the proflex i now use in terms of behaviour over the kr shock.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Tonites update. :D
The more I look at the rims in silver the happier I am that I made the choice to do so. :mrgreen:
Would've had the rear wheel on tonite, but I couldn't find the damn caliper bracket. :evil:
Will have to grab one off another bike tomorrow.
After that, it's onto the front end, but I know that the forks need new oil, and there are a few marks in the tubes that I don't like much. :-k They're probably fine to use as the marks arn't in the range of travel, but not sure what shock oil to run in them. Might just get factory recomended grade to start of with, and go from there.
KR1 Red/White