The project begins (finally)

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Got the old girl running today. She fired up after only half a dozen or so kicks, and was sounding quite sweet as well and rather responsive to a bit of throttle input. All seemed to be going along fine until I noticed a puddle of oil forming near the side stand. :?: Closer inspection showed it's comong from the gearbox breather hose that comes out beside the carb overflow hoses, so I'm thinking that the crank seals have probably gone to god. :(
May rip the motor out of the track bike project and throw it in there so I can get it on the road.

PS. forgot to mention in the last post that I no longer plan on selling this since I now have my full bike licence. \:D/ :mrgreen:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Ian_B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Ian_B »

The bike looks great. What silver paint did you use?
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

well done on the license mate
love the bike really clean =D>
ade.
on the pipe!!!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Drained the box oil out this morning in preperation for pulling the motor out and swapping in the track bike projects motor, only to find about 2 litres of oil come out. :-s Seems when I put the bike together all those months ago, I must've put the gearbox oil in twice. #-o
So, after draining the oil out, I put 850ml back in and gave the thing another start. The good news is that it dosn't seem to spew it out the breather any more, but now the carbs are mis-behaving (thinking air leak through the manifolds), as it wont idle below about 3k now. Think I'll try coating the manifold rubbers with some silicon to see if that seals them up. :roll:
Ian_B wrote: What silver paint did you use?
I used the Septone Wheel Silver from Supercheap.
KR1 Red/White
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

easy done i did the exact same thing a few months ago not enough to blow out the breather but enough for some major clutch slip ](*,)
ade.
on the pipe!!!
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Yep easy done you feel like a right numpty when you realise #-o ,but then you,ve got an easy fix not a strip down...............bonus :lol:
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

think i must have filled mine when it was on the paddock stand :oops:
ade.
on the pipe!!!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to make that mistake. :D
Spent most of the day trying to sort out the running problems. Re-balanced the carbs and got the idle just about right so decided to take it for a quicky round the block to see how it behaved........ it behaved badly... #-o
Wouldn't rev past 7k, and stalls out randomly and then dosn't want to start again, leaving me to push it a good 300 meters home. :oops: Checked the spark only to find it's gone weak and somewhat intermitent. Tried different plugs, different coils, measured the stator resistance, checked the pickup coil resistance and air gap, and all check out fine, So I'm buggered if I know.
All that aside, it felt great on the road for the short amount of time that I got to ride it. :roll:
Oh well, tommorrows another day I suppose.

Cheers, Scott.
KR1 Red/White
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

try another stator :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

JanBros wrote:try another stator :wink:
Thanks, that's on the list of suspect items, but I don't have a puller the get the flywheel off. #-o
KR1 Red/White
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Well, after spending a few days with an old school friend over new years (and disposing of a couple of bottles of scotch in the process :roll: ) I decided it was time to get stuck into the bike this morning. The plastics are all as they were when I got the bike in bits from it's old owner, and I think they look respectable enough as they are for now (at least until I get around to giving it a respray).

The engine now ticks over like a clock after cleaning out some crap then re-setting the carbs again, and swapping in a third coil with some new plugs :roll: , (although idle speed now needs re-adjusting) so I thought I'd take it for a quick test-run to blow out some cobwebs and get a better feel for what else it needs. :mrgreen:
The engine feels great off band, but feels a tad flatter than I expected when the power-valves open up, although it's still no slouch by any means. :twisted: The gearbox is still being a right bitch jumping out of second (only does it in second) as well being a nightmare trying to kick it back down through the cogs, so there's a bit of work to be done there still.
The rear damper is pretty shagged out as well and is in need of rebuilding/replacing. Still got a bit of detailing to do on it like the torque arm for the rear brakes (which will be getting a coat of the same silver as the frame etc).
Still, it just feels good to get it this far where it can actually be ridden.

Cheers, Scott.
KR1 Red/White
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

Hi your right respectable indeed, looks 100 times better than mine as its all scattered across the garage, as for your gear box problem i used to have an old h***a cr480 i had trouble with third gear, it would never engage just rattle as though it was trying to catch the gear, that problem turned out to be a worn selecter barrel, not saying thats your problem but might be worth checking over, the bike it self didn't need third gear it was an animal, but hope you sort it soon cheers wayne.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

tescr500 wrote:Hi your right respectable indeed, looks 100 times better than mine as its all scattered across the garage.
Cheers. I deliberatly took a pic of it's good side as it's been dropped (low speed) by a previous owner and the repairs arn't exactly the best. Finally got all those bugs sorted out after replaceing the gearbox, clutch, and rear shock, and now she's behaving quite well, apart from a stutering sound from the KIPS motor (just something else to swap out I guess :roll: ).
One thing I learnt today though is that this bike has a lot more potential than I have skill right now. It's going to be a loooooooooong time before I'm anywhere near being able to push this bike even close to it's limits. I just hope I don't find either the hard way. [-o<
KR1 Red/White
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Your bike looks very respectable indeed Scott.You need to get that gearbox problem sorted out tho or you won't enjoy riding it.
Just take it easy for a wee while,we don't want to be hearing you've been down the road on it
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Been thinking now that I've taken my KR out for a few good rides that it just dosn't feel as nimble as I'd like. So with that in mind I've started getting preppared for the R6 rear shock conversion so I can see how it feels with the extra rear ride height.
Here's some pics of the airbox I modified for it.
Started by copying Alanw's design using the holesaw.
Then started to think about all the discussions saying the airbox was already small and that doing this reduced it's volume even more. Since this is a road bike and will be keeping it's battery in place, I needed to find another spot to get some volume back. Looked at it in a frame and realised that theres still room under the battery carrier, so cut out the lower section of the rear wall etc with this in mind.
Afer many hours I ended up with this.
It's not the prettiest airbox ever made and still needs a lot of tidying up, but it should go a little ways to getting some of that lost volume back.

Edit: After blanking off the inlet holes (and drain holes) with tape, I filled my modified airbox with water then poured that water into a standard one. It seems I've managed to regain all the volume lost from triming it to clear the R6 shock resivour, so I'm quite pleased with that. :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White