DP F400/F250 2008 Season

Tell us where you are racing we might pop along and offer support!
mj43
Premix Junkie

DP F400/F250 2008 Season

Post by mj43 »

With the season opener at Brands only two weeks away it is time to start panicking. Looks like my 11th season racing and I think it is my 10th year with DP. Ah.. brings back memories – joined the club back in 1999. At the time it was a small club and where I was struggling to beat the likes of Andy Sprake, Mick Cheshire and Simon Strutt at EMRA meets Phoenix looked like a soft target. My first meet with them was there first time at Anglesey – my favourite circuit. I had already done a few meetings at Anglesey with Wirral so knew my way around. I didn’t do badly – got my first F400 win getting the better of Pete Whiteside and that year’s champion Tom Warner. Enjoyed racing with DP that much I have been with them since and have watched as they grew from a club using a few cheap circuits to the club they are now operating on the best tracks in the country.

Anyway back to the job in hand the 2008 F400/F250 season. Having had a sneak preview the first grid it is looking good and I am expecting 2008 to be the best in terms of numbers racing and the level of competition at all levels. It looks as if those doing the whole season are going to be kept honest by a number of quick riders who will be dipping in and out because of family or work commitments. Amongst the dippers are last years champion Paul Ellerker who is having a relaxed year this season and will be joining proceedings at Croft. Dean Dickinson, who will be alternating between work a rumoured GSXR100 and the FZR400. 2006 runner up Dave Allsop is meant to be back on a ZXR400. Barry Booth of BB Plastics fame has been preparing a RGV250 for Danny Imberg. Danny will be alternating between super stock duties on a ZX10R and a bit of fun on the RGV. Expected to join Danny on occasion will be a rather quick Nick Chadwick. I have it on good authority that a certain Mr Hegarty will be dusting off his old KR and joining in for a bit of fun.

Enough of those that are indecently fast and who will certainly upset those in for the duration. So who is going to win in 200? Favourite must be 2006 champion Alan Armour (RGV) keen to get his title back. However, he isn’t going to have it easy. Thomas Fisher (VFR) shone last year finishing 3rd overall and top novice. Starting his second season Thomas will probably be heading the 400’s. Snapping at his heels will be Ricky Owen (ZXR) and Chris Smith (ZXR). The Mack brothers Robert (FZR) and Daniel (FZR) are back for another crack at the championship and Phil Harrison (FZR) is joining us at Brands. Phil is a bit of an unknown having raced with New Era last season. DP regulars Chris Waters (ZXR), Andy Carden (VFR) and Charlie Burke (VFR) are joined by newcomers Terence Martin (ZXR) Rob Starkey (CBR) and Rich Troth (CBR). Former RGV pilot Louise Goddard (congrats Louise and Lee) is back on her VFR.

Though the 400’s have ruled the F400 for a number of seasons that may all change in 2008. The two strokes are out in force and there has been some serious development over the winter. What is unclear is whether Ross Searle (RS) will be back on his Aprilia – I know Ross was trying to get a ride on in the Triumph series. If he is back he will be hungry and out to better his fourth overall place last season. From being the only VJ23 on the grid Alan Armour is expected to be joined by 3 possibly 4 more. The VJ23 is the last of the GP replicas that came out of Japan in the mid 90’s being based on Suzuki’s 1994 GP250 machine and will be ridden by Mark Bamford Dave Reynolds, Brendan Meany. Challenging the VJ23’s will be five h***a NSR250’s including two full F3 machines. Two of these machines will be raced by seasoned campaigners Dan Williams and Roy Thorpe, the others by John Stacey, back for his second season, and newcomers Leigh Frost and Stephen RC45. The Aprilia’s are out in force – Dave (Davo) Williams is back after a year off, likewise Steve Saint. Iain McDonald of ‘..I just touched my elbow down when the back slid away fame..’ will be making his long journey down from Scotland. They will be joined by what could be novice of the year Freddy Pett. 16 year old, Freddy has out grown the little 80’s he has been racing up to now and has Ross Searle’s spare Aprilia. We know this machine has been up at BDK’s so Sam and James have probably worked a bit of their magic on the machine (I know they have certainly busy on several bikes in the DP F400 class). Heading the RGV (VJ22/21) charge will be Adam Molloy. Adam is back for his second season with DP having come over from NG last year. I know Adam and his father have spent many an hour on the dyno over the winter, and Adam has gone a weight loss and fitness programme. Adam’s machine was seriously fast last season – if they have tuned the rider and bike further, then Mr Armour beware. Another very fast RGV racing with DP will be Colin Skillicorn’s old machine. That bike with Colin on board was Aintree F400 champion for the last two seasons. Any RGV that can beat the 400’s at Aintree has to be a rocket ship. Other RGV riders back for more are Matthew Graves and Dino Brady at Brands these two will be joined by Steven Pellowe.
The old Kawasaki’s KR-1S look like they will be slow starters as only Mark Jordan has entered at Brands, so far… We know that if Mark puts his pipe and slippers away he can show the odd flash of brilliance. Also he has spent most of the winter preparing his engine which is rumoured to be making up to 10hp more than the 2007 engine. The rest of the KR’s are due out later in the season when the weather gets warmer.

Apologies to those racing that I haven’t mentioned I know there are many of you – but my memory is failing me – I blame old age.

If you are planning on entering the DP F400 I recommend getting your entries in – Brands is nearly full and I am expecting Croft onwards to have reserves. Who said the 400 class was dying :)
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

wish you the best of luck mark... =D> =D>

show em what the old kr1s can do......
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Give them Hell mark, I wish I was at brands as its a hell of a fun curcuit to ride. Its a pity that work has buggered up most of this years racing. Hope to see you at the first cadwell meeting.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

I'll be making my usual trek to Croft to have a watch. Best of luck MJ =D>
THE FLUTE
Heavy Smoker

Post by THE FLUTE »

Come and say hello mate i will be in a garage somewhere i will let you know what number
Cheers |Phil
Derby Phoenix MCC F600 Novice Champion 2006
2009 F1 British Championship Sidecar Passenger
5th 2011 British Championship F1 sidecar