Project Ditch Salvage

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Clean it and install new rings . Cover everything in 2t oil and go out and Win :twisted:
How many miles do you have to go for this challenge ?
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

and i think ive got a hanger.......will cost you of course.............how about 1 quid.....+p n p :D

but its just the hanger..no peg.....sorry....
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
frog32
Premix Junkie

Post by frog32 »

im sure most folks will help out ill donate some parts just make a list
of stuff you need

i cant give them away tho :shock:

lets say a £1 inc p+p

where your list lol =D>
2 strokes our way of life :-)
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

I can send a peg ... for my usual fee . PM if you want .
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

i've got a few bits that I can put into a worthy cause...

Pm me what you need and I will have a dig in my little stash ... But it is very little...
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

kid ......
i think the race may be over by the time he gets anything in the post from OZ
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Strewth, Mr b, frog, kid, corky, Red Devil, .... everyone.., you guys must all have previously worked for the samaritans (or be recruiting for the moonies!), I've never felt so welcome.
Anyway, without getting ahead of myself here. I got a left side hanger and peg off ebay - so I'm okay for that thanks, however, my right side hanger has one of the sides of the triangle bust, so if anyone has a hanger only they would like to sell me then please pm with details. If these are like hens teeth though I'll try and get mine welded as it is still in one peice.
One of you guys has pm'd me with the possibility of some forks so unless this doesn't work out I'm sorted there.
I'll post it here when I get to find what else I need - but seriously thanks for all your support so far. Apart from my moto-x bike I've been four stroke only for years where everybody spends their time boasting about who's got the noisiest can or the stickiest tyres. You 2 stroke boys are a refreshing change.
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

awwwww

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now :mrgreen:
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Okay – so I’ve committed the mortal sin of posting my project progress a short time after I’ve actually done it. Consequently all the great ideas and advice I get make me feel a total idiot as I’ve invariably done the absolute opposite! So here is it right up to date.
Clearly I’m a lazy git, but when connecting the battery I found I was suffering from disintegrating loom syndrome, and every piece of wiring I touched fell to dust in my hands. This and that I didn’t know just how bad the condition of the motor was meant that instead of pulling the motor out and apart as would have been wise I took the easy route. I hung the whole bike from the roof the garage and pumped paraffin into the reed block aperture of the bad crankcase (right side), letting it spill out of where barrel was no longer into a tray before pumping it round again.
Tooth brushes, bottle brushes, pipe cleaners, anything I could to try and do what since the elf and others suggested of a total clean up (but without stripping the motor). Repeated the process for about 3 hours until I thought I’d done enough, but thinking about it I probably hadn’t.
Barrel cleaned up okay –plating looked good, but had some weird stains? Rings well and truly stuck in piston but removed, grooves cleaned, small end felt good, everything reassembled. Ring pegs a novelty to a 4 stroke guy.
Read block assy. stripped and cleaned
Carb in terrible state – cleaned up okay,
Power valve repaired!! (take a bow Glen from work) Actually better than before I broke is as grooves had been worn by the seal and know they’re gone! Thanks for generous offer though Corky. It is stright by the way, although the photo makes it look bent!
All back together with about 3 gallons of two stroke oil on assembly, premix in temporary tank and.........
You’ve guessed it , it burst into life. Fuel dribbling everywhere from float needles still suffering bits of dirt in them, and temporary fuel tank (can't even get the cap open on the original), but it runs all the same. Since then I’ve had the clutch out as all plates where stuck and that now functions fine. I’ve checked oil pump and that seems to be delivering as manual states. I’ve started de-seizing the brakes – the fronts aren’t actually too bad. Everything seems a little better than it did when the motor whouldn't turn!

But – unsurprisingly the motor sounds to me a little like it shouldn’t.
I suspect it’s mains, and if it was a four stoke I’d just ride it until it really broke and then repair it. Remember the challenge - just a few laps isn’t very long (under 20 miles). But it seems as though my barrels are good, and a couple of balls out of the mains being lobbed through the transfers isn’t going to make them any better so I really shouldn’t run it any more. I may need one of you guys to cast a trained ear over it. I live near Ipswich in Suffolk, anyone fancy a cuppa?, or I could pull it to yours on my trailer?
So I’m sure there will be more to come but my immediate need list if anyone can help is: slide for std 29mm carb (height adjusting nib had broken off one of mine – I found it in the reed valve - eek), rear disc (mines rizla thin in the middle), a tub of fibreglass resin the size of brazil and more time to work on it!
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

excellent... this post has to be the best all year...

I have just wet myself, spat coffee all over my lap top and am crying through tears of laughter...

I'm no where near sheffield and there are better people on here to listen to your motor.... But thanks for the giggle...

Fecking priceless =D> =D> =D>

Nate

P.S. Coca Cola is the number one in carb cleaning juice!!! :mrgreen:
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Nice bit of bodging there Abel. =D> =D>
I was almost going to suggest something similar to get you going for the challenge. :wink:
It's all starting to come off a little "Scrapheap Challenge" actually.
That's some tidy work on the valve too... very nice indeed. 8)

As for the strange noises, the first time I heard my old RZ250R kick into life I thought it was going to nuke itself right quick 8-[ but my mate assured me that all the sounds were normal. The guy I ended up selling it to is still rideing it after about a year now with no dramas.
Still, if your concerned it's always best to get someone in the know to suss it out, and I'm sure youll have plenty of volunteers. :D

Good luck mate. I can't wait to read more of your progress.
I would though, recommend you rebuild the engine after the challenge (at least new pistons and rings) if you decide to keep it.
Remember, prevention is better than cure. And when it comes down to it, it's a damn site cheaper too. :mrgreen:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

im in braintree if that helps you...may b able to get to you but not this week...we launch new models this week(i spanner for bmw)and im flat out...you could come to me or can come round for a cuppa next weekend mate.... :D

when is the race then????
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

corky wrote:kid ......
i think the race may be over by the time he gets anything in the post from OZ
The postage from UK to here Corky is excellent , got a set of power valve linkages from the bloke listing them on ebay (Lee who posted in the engine section) in around 5 days .
Dunno what its like from here to there , might be slower since its uphill !

Great work Abel , might be worth whipping the barrels off again and feeling what the play is like in the big ends by pulling and pushing on the rods ?
A crank rebuild will seriously stuff the budget :oops:
Looking forward to more updates . :D
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

looking at the carb, I'm wondering how the water got into the engine?

I would look at the fuel system ie jets, fuel tank etc. you may need new jets, and the tank cleaned and petsealed. do a search and you should find plenty of info on how to balance the carbs and set them up. but beware that crap seems to keep apearing and blocking jets etc for some time after the inital clean out until it's all got sorted out.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

mr_bungholeo wrote:im in braintree if that helps you...may b able to get to you but not this week...we launch new models this week(i spanner for bmw)and im flat out...you could come to me or can come round for a cuppa next weekend mate.... :D

when is the race then????
Thats the 22/23rd - at the moment I'm away that weekend. I'll see if I can change things around. I'll get back to you with a fair bit of notice if I can - Thanks Mr B

Showdown is 1st may bank holiday - on the 5th. I've just sent off for a V5 - hope it doesn't come back as stolen!