Q & A

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
alanw
Oil Injector

Q & A

Post by alanw »

Got the new fairing and the body work ready for paint, so started playing with the engine. When I first got the bike the piston rings were trying to leave through the exhaust port on one cylinder. Some advice please as I've never seen or had porting work done before. The third barrel I bought 2.5 year ago to replace the damaged barrel. This is where I noticed the difference. The 2 ported barrels have numbers stamped into the base? Appreciate your opinion on what you thinks been done, I think I'm going to have a 300cc conversion done???. The photo of the rotor is there because the previous owner, the village idiot had attempted to remove it by hitting it "on" with a hammer and managing to put waves into the threads where the rotor puller screws in, so I'm going to have to grind out about 20% off the thread to get the puller on. The picture strangely makes it look better than it really is. Note the damage to the 6 holes, "me thinks I might need a stator " I'll definitely be needing a new rotor,". If anyone has one let me know how much......Alan
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

The numbers are from the platers. Looks like KR1 barrels, can't see much otherwise.

If you want I will flow a set of cases and give the barrels and head a once over in exchange for one of your fairings - it will go with the seat unit of yours I have :)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Have the front lugs been machined down? On standard barrles they are the same height as the rear. If they are then I gues they might have had a mild tunning. Sounds like MJ will sort it all out for you, you lucky so and so :)
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Have often wondered about the lugs and how far the protrude into the flow through the inlet from the reed valves and wether they should be cut back a bit ?
As you have said Elf , sounds like Alan is now in good hands .
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

ive got a set exactly the same..and yes they have been cut down...not sure by who though...mj?
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

That is one of the Mods Stan Stephens does.
I think others do a similar job. Stans look like they have been done on a mill.
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Do you think it helps MJ ? I remember reading something about triming those lugs on the team sparrow site and from memory you were unsure of the value of cutting them down .
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

My current thinking is that the Lugs obstruct flow and should be removed on a race bike - for a road bike I would think twice about it.

What I do is quite different to Stan's - I have had a rethink as to how I tune my engines and initial tests indicate it works :)
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Mj.. I'm sure we can come to an arrangement there. Pleased you like the fairing ! . I'll post some pics of it asap. very busy at work again so posts will prob tail off. Bear in mind its got the side vent holes so you have to fit the original plastic ones . I wanted it that way ( access ) or I thought of fitting ss mesh in ?? I haven't made a belly pan, I'm using an original because of the fairing extension which I made to fit the original. I take it its for racing so I could remove ind mounts / lights . It takes a standard screen Although mines reduced in height "better lines"......I can hear you thinking oh shit what have I let myself in for. :) I'm going to make another to go on my other 1S daylight MOT so no lights or indicators if you can wait you'll see what it looks like. Remember its all been aerodynamically tested up to 2nd speed on the wife's hair dryer we tried it on the third speed but the shaking became a little violent, & I fell off :lol: I really needed to talk about this engine of mine. Have to be another night. I am paggered.......Alan.

Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

alanw wrote: Remember its all been aerodynamically tested up to 2nd speed on the wife's hair dryer we tried it on the third speed but the shaking became a little violent, & I fell off :lol:
FPMSL :lol: Got this vision of you sat on the bike with a load of paper streamers stuck to you and the missus and her babylis :lol:
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Alan

When ever you are ready give me a shout.
A Bonneville tune is easy to do keeps stock pistons. Will profile the head and tighten up the squish so only super unleaded.

Recommend a new set of heavy duty clutch springs.

MJ
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

MJ, started another fairing today, with the intention when finished of showing you it. If you like it "its yours". :wink: If not it will go on my other bike no harm done

FPMSL Got this vision of you sat on the bike with a load of paper streamers stuck to you and the missus and her babylis.... "Red" have you been tooting through my bedroom window [-X ...Alan

alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

MJ, Some pics.............Ali why do my pics always come out so big ?.

mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Alan

That looks the dogs :)

You should do a kit top fairing and seat unit - better than than the tyga RGV kit
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Wow , great work Allan =D>