Carb slide stuck

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Abel
Smoker

Carb slide stuck

Post by Abel »

Suduced by the KR1S v RGV battle in PB, I have turned away from 4 strokes for a while, put a blanket over my TL1000S and brought a KR1S. However, the utter shed I have purchased has been standing outside for about a year and is in a bad state. Before I put to much effort in I want to see if the motor runs. ("It was running before it was put away mate").
I have got a problem though in that the right side throttle slide is stuck. Very stuck. Have had the top off the carb and filled with WD40, indulged in strenuous yanking all to no avail. Before I pull the carb off and drop it in a bucket of parafin, I was wondering had anybody encountered a similar problem?
Left side comes out no problem, although a lot of stange brown varnish type stuff found on the needle. Could it be the needle and not the slide on the left side? Advice please.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

sounds like the needle stuck...fuel turns to varnish and that'll gum it up...try removing the float bowl and turning the jet...it may free off...if not start looking for a new carb.... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

my advice would be to whip both carbs out, and indulge in a few hours of thorough cleaning...

If one is gummed up, then its pretty much garunteed that the other one will be a bit sticky...

Mine was the same... after being stood for 18months... But as you have got the tank off, you're pretty much there anyway!

Nate
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Along these lines .... What is the best stuff to soak carb parts in to clean / soften built up crap .
Carb cleaner in spray cans just evaporates off too quick and is too expensive to try and fill a jar big enough to drop a float bowl in :lol:
Cheers
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

i used petrol :mrgreen:
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

:lol: :lol: That should work out cheap enough :lol:
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Thanks folks - we were all wrong - it was the slide that had somehow corroded itself into the body!. When I say very stuck I had taken the carb top off and pulled as hard as I could on the cable and the slide still wouldn't come out.
Unscrewing the idle adjustement screw down to allow some space and gently knocking the slide down to break the corrosion before working up and down was the only way to free it.
Tidied up the slide with a swiss file, then fine emery then brasso and everything looks and slides okay - time will tell.
Thanks again