Petrol in my pipes

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
nate
Heavy Smoker

Petrol in my pipes

Post by nate »

Hi all,

Just stripping the back end of the bike again... Have to take my swing arm off... Luckily I forgot to put the rubber chain guard thingy on ](*,)

Anyway, I have just dropped my pipes and the right hand one seemed stupidy heavy... And stuff sloshing around inside it...

Anyway, drained it into a bucket... and about 2 litres of petrol / oil mix have come out...

Now, the only reason I can think of is that I left the petrol tank on prime and the inlet valve open on the right cylinder...

If so, it is all ok just to drain the pipe and stick it back on later... Or am i risking screwing up the engine by turning it over?

Cheers all

Nath
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

my old lc used to do the same thing(weak fuel shutoff valves)...give it a kick over with the pipe off and your finger over the plug hole...it should pump most of it out the cranck case....then let it vent for an hour or so before you refit the pipe... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
nate
Heavy Smoker

Post by nate »

so where are these mystical fuel shut off valves? in the crank?

cheers

Nate
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

in the bowl of the carbs...they act like your float in your loo....as fuel comes in the carb bowls the floats rise and shut off a needle valve..stopping the fuel...if you have the wrong hight set it wont shut off lower than the inlet hole and floods into the cylinder... :(
if its too low you will run the bowls dry under sustained full throttle..and then you can go bang... :( :(
also make sure your tap on the tank isnt letting any fuel out in the on and res positions..but it should flow on prime....if fuel flows in any position you will have the weight of a tank of fuel pushing down on the fuel shutoff valve and a weak one will let fuel through..but the most likely cause is a bit of grit stuck between the valve tip and its seat...fit filters inline.... :D and defo check float hight...think its 20mm but its in the manual.... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)