Ti-rods?

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Ti-rods?

Post by mgtkr1 »

my knowledge of all things metal related is limited to say the least except basic things like steel does'nt rust,ali is heavier than steel and Ti is easy to machine etc.... doh, told you! ](*,) i was wondering how much Ti would cost to have some tie rods made, if it could be used etc. im aware that its is v.expensive and hard to work with but more importantly can it be used for tie rods? ive heard that it is strong in some ways but weak in other areas, cant remember exactly what the subject was reffering to but was suprised at what i read. i know that ali has been used so presume that Ti will be ok but just wanna clarify. if the costs are ridiculous i will be using ali, im not too worried about the labour costs, more the cost of the material. thanks in advance.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Titatium is second only in cost to unobtainium :D . The machining is a lot cheaper than the actual material :cry: . Then again it ia drop dead nice. Never had to machine it my-self but I would go for cold rolled steel or alloy, my-self due to cost. Just machine it so the direction of the main stresses is the same as the direction of rolling as that's where the strength of the material is. (ie along the length of the bar)
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
NOS EXUP
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOS EXUP »

Titanium is a superb material for your application.
You need 6AL4V grade 5 Titanium which is used for making titanium bolts.
It is difficult to machine and you need to use solid carbide tips and solid carbide drills to touch it and achieve a decent finish.It also is a fire hazzard during machining - set fire to my lathe twice during dry cutting !!!
It is difficult to obtain but not impossible but you need deep pockets.

I have just finished making titanium parts for my KR project - wheel spindles , swing arm pivot , wheel spacers , exhaust spacers , power valves etc.....

never thought of suspension tie rods - maybe have a look at it ......

regards
Nick
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Nick you are making me turn green with envy talking about all those titanium parts you've made for your KR.

Well done mate.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

nick, who did you get onto your p/valves in the end? bet this bike is gonna be a stunner. all the small details that are so easy to over look will be bristling with exotic material. im looking forward to what you have done in the obvious areas! pics and details are in the pipeline i hope? cheers matt