Setting up a Hagon rear shock

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Badgerman
Heavy Smoker

Setting up a Hagon rear shock

Post by Badgerman »

I can't seem to get the set-up right on the Hagon rear shock I brought. When I first bolted it on it was very hard and gave very little damping so I wound down the spring and at least it moves now. I have also wound the rebound damping right down but now it is too springy. It really seems to be one or the other. Can any body suggest a logical set of steps to take to set the thing up?

Really appreciate any help

Thanks

Badgerman
Just buy more bikes!!
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

First thing to set up is the sag.
Figures are from memory so have a look on the web to see what other recomend for a light weight bike. Set the static sag to about 0mm as its a light weight bike and about 20-30mm with you sat on it. If you can't get these to match you will need to get a different spring to match your body weight.

When you press on the back of the bike it should return smoothly back to the starting point and not over shoot, top out and/or bounce.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Badgerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by Badgerman »

Thanks will try tonight.

It seems to really fly back at the moment and top-out.

badgerman
Just buy more bikes!!
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

left mine on factory setting - hard as you say - but feels nice
once on the road - i think they are a good shock
Smokings Good For You
fatboy
Smoker

Post by fatboy »

hi badgerman, did u get ur shock sorted with elfs setup info as have just fitted a hagon shock and have the same concerns.
Steely
Heavy Smoker

Post by Steely »

I bought a new hagon shock, i told them my weight and they set it up with the right spring and did all the settings, works a treat.

I also had them set it up for solo riding only, you have to ask them to do this, otherwise you get factory settings, these are taking into account that you might carry a pillion.
fatboy
Smoker

Post by fatboy »

wish I had known that when I ordered it! put it on in my lunch hour at work but did not have time to set it up, the preload is way too high and the damping is insufficient just need to find some time to set it up properly took it out last week and nearly came unstuck as it tied itself in knots over some choppy road. I am sure it will be fine when
I've tweaked it
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Post by Spliffyaid »

As with any suspension, static and rider sag must be set :) then its all down to how you like it :)......a bit of tweaking :)

Im unsure of sag figures on this particular bike, but, loads of experts on here :)
Fuelled by 1664
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

how much are the hagon units? i have a 2nd hand proflex on my bike and initial impressions look promising. i beleive mj uses or has used in the past the proflex shock. looking at an old pb mag circa 1992 they were well over 500 quid with a ride height adjuster!!!! fantastic quality though. my other kr (in a thousand bits) has an r6 shock which is suitable as the extra length maches a 17' rear hoop. ive heard there undersprung for a kr though so im looking at alternatives maybe? either a good quality 2nd hand rebuildable unit or a decent new one. i seem to remember EMC shocks were another good quality shock in the early 90's. are they still kicking about? if you get in touch with hagon im sure they will set your shock up for your weight/purpose etc. a (correct weight) spring ie ohlins arent to expensive and will be soo much better when fitted to your shock. roughly what sort of weight are you?
fatboy
Smoker

Post by fatboy »

hagon shock worked out around £255 was going to original rebuilt but thought a more up to date shock would be better. have just set the damping adjustment so going to give a test later need to set the sag though only got about 10 mm on factory setting althought I am around 13.5 stone so was going to set it around 25 mm lots of preload adjustment left though, need to remove airbox to adjust though and forgot to bring tools home this weekend so will post results when I have finished setting up. hagon shock seems overall nice quality though
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

you need to set both the static sag and then with you sat on it. if you can't get both correct then the spring is incorrect for your weight.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
fatboy
Smoker

Post by fatboy »

cheers elf, was planning to use ur settings recommendations from earlier on in this thread anyway was just interested to know if badgerman had sorted his. set the damping on mine yesterday as basically there wasn't any and that has improved it no end but just need to set the preload and I am sure it will b spot on. not sure if you got my pm thanking u for helping me out with crank bike goes like the bloody clappers now shes run in so goes as good as it looks now.