Gaskets, advice please.

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Gaskets, advice please.

Post by Bikemike »

When I took the barrels off the Graham File tuned engine in the Garden project no kind of gasket sealant appeared to be used.
Now I figure that if Graham doesn't use a sealant then you probably don't need one..but I seem to recall reading on here that you should.
So I'm confused :?
Can anyone help me out on this one?
Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

I have never used sealant on base gaskets, i'm not sure it's needed either, it seems overkill to me. Plus it's a pig to clean off, save it for Austin Metro's :lol: .
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

basically what cliff said, you shouldnt need a sealant, on the base gasket i used a little as others have said that the front of the gasket can move, and the sealant helps keep it there, BDK didnt see the point, i just did it to be sure, I used hermitite (i think thats it) but its a bugger to work with, i would think if you just make sure both surfaces are as clean as you can get you should be fine.
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Cheers Guys,
I was hoping the answer would be don't use any :)

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I alaways use a sealant on the base gaskets as they can move forward and empty the contents of the rad down the front of the engine. Both MJ and I had this happen last year.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk