Following on from...

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

not sure if some thing like above would have enuff muscle to run what is required on a KR, id say u would have to work out how many amps is being drawn run the bike is running.

it could be possible as the battery doesnt need to turn the bike over to start it.

might be worth looking at what racers use, as you might be able to get a very small gel battery which could be hidden in the rear seat pod maybe
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

Can get a standard battery in under the seat hump, will do that :lol:

You can see the offsett of the nc swingarm mountings here

Oh well it was a scrap frame anyway, seemed a shame to take a hacksaw to it, but this is the bottom linkage mount liberated from it, need to cut the kr one of and get it welded in.

The last time Liverpool Fc won the league, George Michael was black and Michael Jackson was straight or visa versa, it's that long ago I get confused.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

if you manage to get it all working it will certainly look trick 8)
Smokings Good For You
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

SHimmer45 wrote:not sure if some thing like above would have enuff muscle to run what is required on a KR, id say u would have to work out how many amps is being drawn run the bike is running.

it could be possible as the battery doesnt need to turn the bike over to start it.

might be worth looking at what racers use, as you might be able to get a very small gel battery which could be hidden in the rear seat pod maybe
if you start the bike with your lights switched off, you need 0,0V from the battery :wink:

and once the engine is running, only at idle the battery has to jump in to keep the lights burning at full strength :idea:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

I never considered It would have any offset :shock:. I thought it would be a case of sorting linkages , Not what your getting into. :shock:
Your going to give yourself a reet chewing there chief :roll: . Your as crazy as a shithouse rat :lol: :lol: Lets know if you need spacers or materials i might can help. Alan.
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
fastfreddie
Light Smoker

blown away!!!

Post by fastfreddie »

f..cking hell red devil your masterpeices are the bollox im so bleeding jealous,well done mate cant wait to see whats coming next,im stunned =D> =D> =D> =P~ =P~ =P~
fast fred 1s hooligan
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

alanw wrote:I never considered It would have any offset :shock:. I thought it would be a case of sorting linkages , Not what your getting into. :shock:
Your going to give yourself a reet chewing there chief :roll: . Your as crazy as a shithouse rat :lol: :lol: Lets know if you need spacers or materials i might can help. Alan.
Yep me neither, Alan, all the stuff I've read about them never mentioned it, NC24 isn't offsett, so that'd possibly been the way to go, but still would have ben fun, because it's much wider (220mm?) and not a solid tube on the pivot point (dunno if the spindle runs through the engine cases) So you could shorten it to get it in but would there be enough left for it to be strong enough.

I could get the Aprillia AF1 swingarm in, a piece of piss, but thought that a bit of a retrograde step, as it's steel, wasn't quite certain about it's
strength in comparison to standard/other arms and the wheel is a bit narrow (same as a kr1 takes a 130/140), it is a 17 incher tho! It fit's in just needs a couble of thin spacers) You can get it to go into a kr1 frame by removing the 'top hat' bushes and using the kr1 internal bush which fits straight in. Because it's one of the 'uses 2 side bits' swingarms on the pivot point it would go in with the kr std shock/linkage. Then just weld on a mounting for the dog bones to go to, in the same relative position as the kr arm, jobs a good un :lol:

And before anyone says Aprillia 125 chain on the other side! All you have to do is turn it upside down. :lol: And grind of a couple of lugs.

Anyone want to see a pic of it posed in there for future reference? Might use it in another chassis, would probably look ok in a valve, my main concern is, would it be strong enough?, If so it could probably go in a kr with a standard 110/140 front/rear tyre set up and look ok, but this one's got a zxr400 3.5 in front with a 120 tyre............

I know open out the zxr250 yokes to take 636 forks (no probs cos it's got 400h forks in now) off the green bike, swap front ends........................
oh bollox to it anyone want to buy a load of scrap metal :lol: :lol: :lol:
The last time Liverpool Fc won the league, George Michael was black and Michael Jackson was straight or visa versa, it's that long ago I get confused.
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

"oh bollox to it anyone want to buy a load of scrap metal"..............pmsl............... :lol: :lol: :lol: ..............you need committing to a house run by men in white coats Mark............. :lol:
'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

genius! theres an rgv with af1 swinger and tbh, the fact its steel is a step backwards like you said. much heavier and has to be painted/plated unlike ally which can be polished, who cares if polished alloy is out of date?? with dymags or ducati marchensinis (5 spokers) this kr could be real nice
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

My hat's off to you Mark..... That's some serious commitment to building a custom KR! :mrgreen: =D> =D>
That'll have to be the most heavily customised KR in history, and I'm sure will be a stunning bike. =P~ =P~
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

The point of no return has passed :lol: :lol:

Well, if the single sider was going in, I had to make some frame mods at some stage (yeah should have done before the powder coat.......)

Removed the bottom linkage mount and trial fitted the nc30 one that I cut of the h***a frame, I've just drilled and tapped it at the moment, it'll all get welded up later.

Also worked out the top shock mount, I've tried to mock it up in this pic, I've ordered a solid ally bar to weld in across the frame using the holes in the frame that are there to allow access to the original shock mount (if you follow me :D )

From there, I'm going to mount the rgv shock mount on a soild block of ally with a hole drilled through it for the solid bar, then all welded up.

Hopefully you can work out what I mean from these couple of pics

Oh yeah that shock isn't going in, it's just for mocking it all up :lol:
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Red here is what I did for a battery.

Works excellent. Its a set of AA cells for a remote controll car made into a 12V battery
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

Not a huge amount to update, bit of a bugger when you're waiting for bits, still waiting on top shock mount hopefully here for this weekend. One day I'm going to buy myself a lathe and learn how to use it which could be fun as I normally work in tolerances of plus or minus a yard :lol:

Anyway, got the swingarm vapour blasted, brought it up like new, think I'll keep it like this, although black is a possibility, polished is not! Dunno what do you lot think?

Back wheel is off to the powdercoaters, that's deffo going black, still not certain if it'll end up in it or not, might look for a 3 spoke job to match front. Had quite a bit of stuff vapour blasted, shock, rear master cylinder etc comes up a treat.

Front end has had a bit of work, done the leg bottoms black to match the gixxer calipers, looks better than having, gold tubes, brown fork bottoms and black calipers. Just mocked this pic up cos I've lent BarryJ the bushes etc so he can see about fitting a zxr wheel into his rgv, well I suppose you have to let them use some quality kwak parts on their Suzukis, Sean's always fond of reminding us that we use the occasional rgv part :lol:

Also got a good set of kr1 discs from Gary(e345), so using them instead of the prolite(s) (mucho cheaper :lol: ) but centres black rather than gold.

If anyone wants any 636 axle bushes give me a shout as I will probably be getting some more made.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

like the swing arm silver - good contrast with the frame and wheel when
you fit it - will stand out 8)
Smokings Good For You
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

id say go black...

glad u not polishing it as it just wouldnt look right in my mind.
but then it is your bike mate
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor