smaller rotor, anyone tried?

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

smaller rotor, anyone tried?

Post by mgtkr1 »

been reading a few previous threads on diffrent forums ie, rgv,nsr etc and theres a fair bit of chat about using a diffrent ignition aswell as ignition rotor, one using a modified moto x unit. i dont mean aftermarket tackle i mean something off an existing model. actually i beleive mj was experimenting with a similar setup some time ago. does anybody know if the kr crank taper is the same as any other mx fitment, my most obvious hope would be a kx crank? my goal would be less rotating mass, large saving compared to a std lightened f/wheel, better ignition settings for race conditions given the fact that std setup has economy in mind as its a road bike resulting in, hopefully extra tourque that a stock unit couldnt match as the stock ignition on the kr was a weak point years ago resulting in some bikes refusing to rev out/above 10500rpm in some cases! im aware of the zeeltronic but a trip to the local mx breakers could find the basic bits needed at a fraction of the cost(although the zeeltronic is good value) and i would feel happier about experimenting with something that cost 50-80 quid rather than a nice new unit at over twice as much! making a stator plate with slotted holes wouldnt be to hard and i dont think converting it to power 2 cylinders would be either with enough research about ignition timings/electronics etc. maybe even make something with tps etc as i think mj was on about experimenting with this also, would be very intrested to learn how far you got mark and what problems you encountered, read that topic a wile ago now and have'nt heard since? possibly even mix/match smaller f/wheel of mx with existing stator making a suitible mounting plate with variable static advance, taking into account the smaller distance between the revolution of the pickups on the f/wheel? im not certain but can imagine that a n f3/kit f/wheel is similar(ish) in size to a motorcross rotor from what ive heard(kit) and seen(mx)? any previous experience/tips or ideas from someone with experience in one off ignition setup would be highly appreciated, thanks to anyone who may help, cheers matt
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Crosser and Road tapers are smaller than KR.

I have a shed full of Crosser rotors I bought hoping to find one that fitted.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

which rotors did you try mark? i guess you had no joy with finding a match then, do you reckon it would be possible to have a rotor(smaller diameter/weight) machined up for a realistic price? the reason i ask is ive thought about possible reasons why no one has tried it? i would guess that they cant be bothered and make do with std which is sensible but over in oz i think, the lc racers have very diffrent rules allowing t-z- -top end/carbs etc and one bloke has made his own race ignition which includes a rotor off a moped! there will probably be a few tapers the same but will be on bikes you never even think of! wouldnt suprise me.
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

what about scooters, doubtful I know, but there are a few use the same flywheel puller. I havent seen any scooter stuff myself so clueless.

interesting though if something did turn up.