o ring heads...

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

o ring heads...

Post by mr_bungholeo »

just found a place two doors down from my work that has a cnc machine...lathe etc...n he is putting o ring rockers on tr4/6 triumphs......he recons its easy to do it to my kr1s.....so.....

if i o ring the head the squish area is gonna change(cos its got no gasket in between) so do i put tz pistons in,sure i saw on mj's site that tz pistons r less hight from the crown to the small end pin... or raise the barrels(although wont that change port timing?)
wot do you guys do????
:D :D :D :D :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

the first KR I had, was already O-ringed, and since a couple of years, I do it myself.

the only thing that changes is that your compression is a little bit higher, just use standard pistons (I do :wink: ).

don't use ordinary O-rings, they van't cope with the temperature (only to about 100°C). you need special ones :idea:

best thing about O-rings is, you can re-use them quite a few times, so one can easily open up the top-end without having to buy a new headgasket :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

thanx janbros....next question then...where do i get the o rings....???

danny harris.....R.I.P
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I got my first from Heiden Tuning in Holland, the guy that had tuned my first engine.

I've ordered some new ones at Peleman in Leuven, Belgium :lol: if it exists in rubber, he can deliver 8) 5euro for one.

find someone like that in Brittan :wink: over here, the compound they are made off is called "vitton" .

if you can't find them, I'll order some more, but it can take up to 2 weeks before I get them.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

ok...ive found a company in the uk but what size do i need????

anyone from the uk that can help (come on elf/rc/mj etc) :D :D :D

thanx...

danny harris.....R.I.P
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

just looked on wikipedia n it seems it was a vitton o ring that blew up the chalenger rocket.....lucky our bikes dont run on liquid nitrogen(well maybe mj will try it someday... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

danny harris.....R.I.P
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

try asking on www.rgv250.co.uk the o ring conversion is a common mod on the rgv and there is lots of advice on there about it.
they should be able to reccomend a supplier and help with your questions.
also have a at look "the tuning works" for o rings, dont know if sean does em but its a good place to start
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

cheers col... :D

danny harris.....R.I.P
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

se tz250 o rings as there availible at a number of places such as padgetts, jim matthews, geoff greenham racing etc.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

you need a 2mm thick O-ring.

I've measured the diameters off my head :

inner : 61mm, outer : 65.5mm

If my memory is correct, it's the inner one that matters, so you'll need 61mm O-rings 2 mm thick :wink:
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

top bloke...ive got tony at gibsons on the case(im only 20 mins away from em) n i was just about to post wot the sizes r....yet again...great info from great guys.... :D gonna take photo's of the project tomorrow..so watch this space..gonna keep one totally standard n the other is gonna get money thrown at it like tissue paper in a fire!!! .... :lol:
with all the info on modding on here i think itll cos a bomb..better give the bank manager a bj... :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheers guys..

danny harris.....R.I.P
ON-OFF

Post by ON-OFF »

Greeting to everyone, I'm new here.

Question:
unlike the RGV, on the KR1 the exhaust valve are open to the top of the cylinder.
So you need two little o-rings to seal them, otherwise coolant may go in the valves...
Or do you use only one o-ring for the inner to resist the high pressure in the cylinder and glue the rest?

I used normal o-rings (vitton) on other engines (liquid cooled) and had no problem, cause the o-ring don't get hotter as the coolant
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

do you meran the seal for the powervalves? if so then the job for them is to stop residue (oil) from dribbling all over the front of the barrels. its a messy affair when they fail due to the gunk but nothing to worry about. there availible from kawasaki. any news on the o-ring mod bungholeo? couild do with hjaving some me self as there a must for a race bike. let us know when you have decided on which spec/size orings you end using, cheers mate.
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

from memory head gasket is 0.2mm thick so going over to o rings will close up the squish by that amount.

I use 2.364" x 0.070" viton o rings. Where I got them from wasn't cheap - I am sure you can do better.

Rest of head sealed using h***a 3 bond.