got no gears??

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Wingy
lurker

got no gears??

Post by Wingy »

got an ex track bike to put back on the road. It had not ran for some time when I got it all rewired and nearly ready fired it up and it ran sweet. pulled the clutch lever engaged first - it went with a bang jumped forward and stalled even with engine off I could not get it out of gear. stripped gear selector side and moved spring etc. put it back together and could move lever through full gear range with engine off. clutch lever is solid and when engine running cant engage gears, whats wrong with it?? any ideas welcome. thanks wingy (its a "H" reg KR1S)
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

it sounds like a look in the clutch side of engine is called for. may be that the plates are just stuck together. I had one like that. just take the basket out and release all the springs then use a screwdriver carefully between the plates (metal parts only) and work round till they free up. mine was allright after. dont bend any plates or the clutch will drag (when its free).
Wingy
lurker

Post by Wingy »

Thanks the clutch was the first port of call once I got the gears free as the bike had been stood for some time. all plates were well lubricated and free. put it back together but it was still the same ( could not pull the clutch lever as it was so hard ) someone suggested that they are well known for bending the odd gear selector in the box so stripped that but all looks ok there too. just need to put it all back together now. would welcome any more ideas as this one has me baffled??? oh also tried a can of spinach and whistling popeye but that didnt work either.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I guess the clutch cable is free and the clutch arm turns in the outer case when its off? Can you actually move the lever fully in but the clutch still wont disengauge?

Things to check for are siezed release bearing/shaft. worn clutch basket, the plates can cut into the basket and stick in the resulting groves. My feeling is a incorrectly assembled clutch or a missing thrust bearing but thats a guess without looking at it or knowing more.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

sounds like youve something amiss in the clutch(as elf said) check out the parts pictures n check you have the washer in between the basket....n as elf said the basket can get a notch in it as the plates snap back into place but it would still let you pull the lever in????

n the bearings n actuating arm could b the culprit......sounds like a strip is in order....put up some photo's n we'll av a look... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)