solo seat

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Is cutting the rear Absolutly Nessesary?
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

RC, Iv'e thought about letting the std frame poke through each side . glass them over ........... Maybe put indicators on the " protrusions" now thats a good word......... :?: dont know :?: Might look a bit fairground :!:
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

:D sounds nice!

Okay i may be up for one, Ill go and have a look tomorow, the only problem i have is the feedback, Im sure itll fit real nice, and look cool, But then mines a track bike and i dont have any crap on the back anyway!!!

will post up tuesday sometime onec ive taken you instructions down and worked out whats what!
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Rc I'll send you a seat as with Tofty, dont want any cash unless your happy.
I dont expect feedback within hrs days or even weeks & I ESPECIALLY DONT WANT ANYBODY TAKING A CHAIN SAW TO THERE BIKE ...................Seriously maybe I should keep hold of them try one myself then advise . I could convert them to std frame but , Looks? & cost
as they stand + converting . I THINK WAITING IS THE ANSWER THEY CAN BE FITTED LATER WITHOUT STRIPPING THE BIKE COMPLETELY
AYE TOFTY :?: :?: :?:

Tofty
Smoker

Post by Tofty »

I personally have no problems about modifying my bike's frame, as it will go though much worse by the time im finished with it anyway.
I would actually rather take delivery now and test fit it myself than wait but thats just the kind of person i am. I also really like the shape you've achieved with it and dont think it should be changed, it would be like defacing art.....or something like that.
KR1 - restoration project,
KR1 - KLR650 engined project bike
Dutton Phaeton s3 - restoration project
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Okay cool, If your willing to send one and can wait a few weeks for feedback ill have a go, If you could send me some details on the plastic weld stuff you used that would be awsome. as i need something like that for the airbox when i cut that down for the R6 shock.

Do you want me to send a pm or email you somewhere?

Whats the postage?

Let me know Cheers
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

PM me both your details I'll try to post them this W end with some instructions. :roll:
ps, There made with lloyd's approved marine quality glass & resins not cheaper car materials, how much of an advantige this is if you stay out of the sea I dont know. :!:

The Prodigal Son
Smoker

Post by The Prodigal Son »

Are you willing to make another :?:

I will definitely have one, if you are 8)
4-Strokes is just 2 too many!!
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Prodical son see what happens with Rc & Tofty , but to exspensive to produce ! me thinks.

rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Chaps, Alanw is using us as guinee pigs, im gona have a good look to see whats what, I think its gona be an easy fit...but im gona play stupid and see if i can spot any issues, I think he;s done a fantastic job, it looks ace, its the best rear ive seen for a KR and i really hope it works out, Watch this space!!!

The good part is that these will be installed on to working bikes so we can have a good ol look, For example will the frame come in to much that it moves the Shock resivoir and it touches the tyre???

Just one of my thoughts but i wana give it a go as it just looks ace!
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
Tofty
Smoker

Post by Tofty »

Well i have done some frame modifications and have fitted the seat unit but bare in mind there is still adjustment needed.

Firstly i removed all unwanted objects down to what you can see in the picture.

Then i checked how far on the seat unit would go onto the frame without any modification. I had to remove the rear brake reservoir as there isn't enough room for it in its original mounting point (although my bike didnt have one, the manual indicates that there is another bracket on the other side of the frame opposite the brake reservoir for the fusebox that may also have to be removed). I also had to move the oil and water breather pipes but thats really not a problem. As you can see in the picture the seat unit is high at the front, that is because of the shape of the oil and water tanks relative to the width of the seat at that point.

I than loosely worked out how much further forward the seat had to move and then traced that distance plus a bit more onto the back of the frame and then started to cut.

I started off using a hacksaw then tried a jigsaw, unfortunately the jigsaw bit wasnt long enough so i had to cut it by hand which is why it looks a bit ragged.

The other side looks a little better but i think they are fairly even it terms of material removed.

I then fitted the seat unit with no other modification needed to either the seat or the frame. Even the seat slotted in no problems.

I would definitely recommend this seat unit to anyone who wanted to upgrade their KR's style. One of the best bits of fiber-glassing ive seen in a long time and looks like it will stay that way.

I still need to fit the under-tray but as im going to fit a different engine to this frame i cant make fitting assumptions on the exhaust system and the auxiliary systems so i cant fit it for a while.

Alan do you have a paypal account? if so pm me your details and i'll send you the money as im very happy with the seat unit.
Last edited by Tofty on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KR1 - restoration project,
KR1 - KLR650 engined project bike
Dutton Phaeton s3 - restoration project
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Bwahahahahahahaha :lol:

Great Minds think alike!! Ive Just come in from doing the very same mod, Will post later tonight!
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Firstly I have to Agree with Tofty, I have never EVER seen a bit of body work this well finished, very very good indeed,

Mounting I actualy did exactly the same as Tofty but i used a Grinder :twisted: took about 10mins a side and then i have started to (not finished yet) tidy up the metal work with a file, Some sort of coating will be needed to protect the Metal.

I havent taken as much off the frame and found once the seat fitted on, it was a snug fit, the mount holes line up, AND i got the bolt in for the tank at the front part of the seat, It dose need trimming here and there around the tank area but not much at all, and i plan to put some foam or rubber on the bare metal as mine JUST about touches the inside so will give a snug fit when finished...

My grubby prints are all over the seat but ill tidy that later, Im thinking of loping off the rails to give a neat finish but undecided yet!

So here is the cut i made.

As you can see not neat at the mo but we are only at the fitting stage!

Then we have some pics with the Seat unit on.... Looks good i think Pitty about the rest of the bike LOL :lol:

Like i say the seat unit is first class the marks are my dirty paws...

Well done Allan Ill defo have it off you, its completely change my mind now i see it fitted and its easy to do it this way....

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Looks great and really makes the bike look agressive. Got to say that looking at it in those photo's, that I would have one for certain.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

alanw wrote: I don't expect feedback within hrs days or even weeks & I ESPECIALLY DONT WANT ANYBODY TAKING A CHAIN SAW TO THERE BIKE .
Ive got feedback in minutes . :!: Have neither of you heard of sex or tv. :lol:
Cutting the frame as I have, I thought it would be easier to return it back to standard . have the 30mm piece welded back in ground back properly painted & vanished. Ive even taken a lot of time removing the pillion bracket mounts & kept them so they can be welded back on & ground the same. But I'm a bit of a tit. ........Are you intending removing these ?. Do NOT on my SA SO , but it looks like they will look better again not as bulky in the middle :?: I love the angle shots rc has taken , its the look I wanted plus they look a bit stark in white so they should look even better painted . with maybe a big f**k of yellow no board :?: I stopped the tail end flat for 2 reasons 1st & main was to keep the tail short of the end of the back tyre "LOOKS" ! 2nd to keep a hint of 1S . But after seeing them on it could have worked taking them to a point :?: ..... If your keeping the standard fairing :?: I'm also close to finishing some extensions for the btm fairing. moto gp style around the zorsts & 60 70 mm short of the back tyre.You may not like them but i'll post some pics when ready. Of coarse you'll get discount for being guinea pigs. Anyway Chuffed you like the seats & thanks for taking the time & interest. Pleased Tofty wasnt going to be put of :roll: