Irish Clubmans - Bishopscourt 07/05/2007

Tell us where you are racing we might pop along and offer support!
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Irish Clubmans - Bishopscourt 07/05/2007

Post by KwakOn »

:D Well its officially a race bike now. may look a bit rough but went well except for clutch slip.

ImageImage

It was my first time round Bishopscourt (1.8 miles) so I was pleased to be not last in timed practice (26th out of 30). I entered the PRE`97 (up to 600cc) class and was the only stroker against a few 400s and the rest were 600s, even a Bimota. Unfortunately they listed me as a 400 but I was only there to get a go round the track.

Bike felt good, had plenty power down the straight thanks to "ram air", only there was so much the clutch slipped at 10-11 k rpm. I guess peak power hasnt moved too much. So I swapped a spare clutch in while waiting for the race.

Race was red flagged at lap 2 due to a deluge of rain, I was going allright but some folk were on slicks so... Rescheduled after next race and it dryed up a bit so gave it a go, only worry was the engine dropping to 40c on formation lap due to conditions (didnt do it in practice). It was just about warming up towards 50c after a few laps so I kept going. Passed a few guys early on and got straight back past the one guy who passed me and was doing faster times than the 400 in front of me. Still a bit of clutch slip in 4th.

Result: 16th of 21 starters and 17 finishers. Not last in my first race at a new track is as much as I would have hoped for.

A huge thanks to the guys on here who have shared so much info, and parts: MJ for the "ram air" knowledge - salute.

Imagefrom the track day the day before (Kirkistown)

learned a bit the day before racing - there is a limit to grip, I lost the back in chicane and found myself going backwards on me arse with bike on me leg. :oops: Everything ok and was out in next session with bent gear lever and burst seam in leathers (duct tape to the rescue).

Hopefully get the Nikkons and GPR100's on for the next race and some new clutch plates, of course a wee lick of paint and polish wouldnt go amiss either and forks to rebuild... oh discovered the rear caliper needs attention too (floaters seized). :roll:
Last edited by KwakOn on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Glad to see you enjoyed it and had a good race. :D

What oil are you using in the box? The only time I've had clutch slip was due to using either very expensive synthentic oil or really cheapo stuff that'll be pushed to work in a lawnmower :lol: .

I use Halfords own brand of mineral motorcycle gearbox oil.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

Cheers,

using Silkolene Light Gear, and put in fresh when swapped out clutch.

was thinking of heavier springs next time, are they easy to get?
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

P*ss easy to get. EBC do heavy duty springs. I've tried them but I have a weak ligament in my clutch hand from dislocating my thumb while motorcrossing and found that I struggled to operate it.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk