KR-1R engine carb rubbers

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

That is a really neat solution :D
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

they look very nice and neat and solve the problem of trying to get those fffffing rubbers! the way they look alone is a good enough reason to make some up, maybe a good solution for those knackered reed rubbers for the std 28mm carbs aswell, then just a matter of changing the rubber/ and stuffer, wonder if theres a way of having a type of insert so if you swap the carbs/stuffer and rubber you can still use the same alloy plate otherwise i reckon it would have to suit either 35mm or 28mm due to the plate after the rubber manifold and before the stuffer. dont think its too difficult to knock a plate/manifold setup together though so proabaly what ive just typed is a naff idea given the fact the plate is easy enough to produce! answered me own question i guess but as i only realised after typing 3/4's, then bollox to deleting it!
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Thank you. They are not hard to make. Just scribe the outline of the gasket on the plate then I used a scroll saw to cut to the line and drilled the holes. I would definately use a separate plate for each carb size. Using a plate for a 35mm carb with 28's would increase the reed box volume a bit too much. Also if you want to keep the injection just drill a hole in the manifold for the nozzles.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

you must have one of the few KR's in the U.S. - do you use it for
road or track?
Smokings Good For You
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

I use it for land speed racing. I just imported it this year from NZ. I was going to run it in production class but I don't have the stock silencers so I'm in special construction on the dry lake, modified at Bonneville. Here is a link to the SCTA website showing the Kr on it's way for a 130mph run.

http://scta.wheeltramps.com/El_Mirage/E ... d/b915.jpg
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

does it hold any sort of record?
Smokings Good For You
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Not yet. The production class at El Mirage has an open record (meaning no one has met the minimum speed) of 115mph. If I had stock silencers I would have been in production class and would have the record now. Since they won't let me run production I'm stuck in special construction which has a record of 157.624mph so I have a ways to go. I have a set of Jolly Moto pipes on order but they won't be here in time for Bonneville. The lake does not run a modified class like Bonnie does. At Bonnie I can run in MPS (modified-current record 156.511mph) or APS (special con-current record 155.729mph) on gasoline. Oh, the PS stands for partial streamline.
geezagillard
Smoker

Post by geezagillard »

Anyone tried boring the standard 28mm carbs out
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

geezagillard wrote:Anyone tried boring the standard 28mm carbs out
Yep, Its a PITA of a job but I did it to mine last year before I fitted the 35mm carbs. Think I got an extra 1-2mm dia IIRC.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
frog32
Premix Junkie

Post by frog32 »

anyone going to be making some of the spacers falconmans got on his bike :?:

been to a few places over the weekend and no ones interested in making any
2 strokes our way of life :-)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I just got a new straight inlet rubber for a 35mm carb from the ayutojumble at Newark for a 1950's truimph cut it in half and bonded them to a pair of cut and modified standard rubbers. The 28mm dia part being cut off and the rubber opened up on the inside to the same size as the internal metal plate. Bonded them together using one of those special rubber bond glues (basically a special type of superglue).Worked fine all year without any problems.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Spotted these on ebay, I reckon they could be made to fit fairly easily, might help someone?
TZ carb rubbers

Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Bikemike wrote:Spotted these on ebay, I reckon they could be made to fit fairly easily, might help someone?
TZ carb rubbers

Mike
Umm could be made to fit. I spent a lot of cash though on rubbers that I thought I could get to fit and discovered I had wasted a lot of cash trying. In the end I made my own. I really should get some moulds made of mine.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

good idea elf, you know it makes sense!!!! \:D/ im wondering if there will be a clearance issue with the big carbs nr the bowls/frame cross member as i think the lads with 1R carbs have pprobsably all got shorter inlets? therefore regaining lost clearance. may need to get some done, does anyone have a spare set for sale? on exchange px basis? a good sorce tells me they give a gain throughout the range which is a bonus i s'pose, im hoping the carbs fit without diffrent inlets though.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

mgtkr1 wrote:good idea elf, you know it makes sense!!!! \:D/ im wondering if there will be a clearance issue with the big carbs nr the bowls/frame cross member as i think the lads with 1R carbs have pprobsably all got shorter inlets? therefore regaining lost clearance. may need to get some done, does anyone have a spare set for sale? on exchange px basis? a good sorce tells me they give a gain throughout the range which is a bonus i s'pose, im hoping the carbs fit without diffrent inlets though.
the reason that Kwack didn't fit anything bigger than the 35mm carbs is that there isn't any room to fit anything bigger and the 35mm are a tight fit. The only set of rubbers I found were to long and the carbs fowled the cross member. Hence a lot of wasted cash. As I said I'll make you a pair identical to mine and in return you can do the big enclosing airbox :D my bottom half is about 50% there but needs remoulding a bit. pop round in a week or so and I'll have your inlet rubbers done for you.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by: