This might take a while!!!

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Re: This might take a while!!!

Post by KR-1R »

Unless you are a musican, drummmer and your ears are already stuffed you should be using earmuffs,

Even more importantly the eyes! its very hard for a nurse to find splinters of aluminium because they fail the rust solution tests 8)

Good work
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

KR-1R wrote:Unless you are a musican, drummmer and your ears are already stuffed you should be using earmuffs,

Even more importantly the eyes! its very hard for a nurse to find splinters of aluminium because they fail the rust solution tests 8)

Good work
Don't worry, had my safety goggles well and truly on.. My close up eyesight is so bad I practically have to have my nose against the cutter so I've always got them on.. I put the earplugs in after about 5 minutes, Dremmel is a noisy little bugger effective though! I had the motor hung up on a shelf next to my right ear so I'll just use the left for the rest of the week :) :)
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Plenty of time now with all the bits gone away for some work on the cases, a lot more material to remove than on the barrels, poor little Dremel getting some grief! Just the first side has taken about half an hour so far and more dressing to do but hopefully the pics show it. Thanks for the pics on the racing section Luders, gave me plenty of guide to go on, I've probably misssed the same flow you create but it should be an improvement on standard anyway. Decided not to go through with filling on this engine but will give it a go on my spare next year.

Sections to be removed roughly decided

First side mostly done
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

That will be a good improvement, good job.

Remember to put a radius on this area too

DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Luders wrote:That will be a good improvement, good job.

Remember to put a radius on this area too

Hadn't spotted that! will do..
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Sunday morning in the garage.. should get the cases done and ready to rebuild hopefully. First side done:

The bit I didn't fill I just flowed a bit so the air doesn't hit a dead end

Just cleaning up to do now, get rid of the machine marks
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

You'll genuinely notice the difference in your motor just from what you've done there.
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

"You'll genuinely notice the difference in your motor just from what you've done there."

Looking forward to finding out, shame it's going to be a few more months yet! Finally got the most of the work done, just the edges to radius and some cleaning up. All I need for the motor is the crank and barrels back and I can finally get it back in one piece.

Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

You can take more from the top part marked and round off the sharp edges of the other circled area.

DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Will get on with a bit more grinding work, but more bits are back so now have lots I can be doing :D

Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Did you get the frame painted?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Yep, frame, swingarm and footrest hangers back into silver (had already been sprayed before and paint wasn't in great shape). A few bits I forgot to get done, sidestand hanger and some rear brake bits, have to decide wether to send them or just try match those myself wih some Halfords rattle cans.

Bodywork, tank and wheels still in progress.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I'm looking at doing a restore and contemplating paint or powder coat
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Ben,

There are only two choices...... Paint or Solvol (and you know which one I prefer) 8)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Bernie's right, but as I've got the patience and attention span of a wasp that cut it down to 1 choice really!

Pleased with it, it kept the detail really well and the sprayer is doing a really good job, bit of a drive to Ilkeston but worth it to leave it all to someone I can trust with it. I've seen some pics of plastic coated and read that it can end up a bit thick and plasticky looking, and loose detail/frame number.