No spark on RH cylinder

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Ian964
Smoker

No spark on RH cylinder

Post by Ian964 »

I have seemed to have running issues and some stuttering since recommissioning my C3.

Initially I thought it was carb needle or fuel related, but after new jets ultrasonic cleaning and switching carbs around and doing a few miles I now seem to have no spark on the right hand cylinder.. I though possibly it was the ignition coil.

I took the coil from my KMX200 connected it to the left cylinder, started first kick, connected it to the right cylinder and it would not start.

I now thinking the pulse coils or wiring to / from them?

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Re: No spark on RH cylinder

Post by Binetta Steve »

Silly question but when you switch leads, does the problem move to the left cyl. Since the KR1 uses a concept of wasted spark so both cyls spark at the same time. Just a thought
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

Binetta Steve wrote:Silly question but when you switch leads, does the problem move to the left cyl. Since the KR1 uses a concept of wasted spark so both cyls spark at the same time. Just a thought
Hi Steve,

No it does not change. This is why I am now thinking it is sending a spark at the wrong time and it could be the exciter coil?
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Unlikely to be sending a spark at the wrong time since it is the same sender unit that triggers the actual spark and the wasted spark for both pots.
Coil, HT leads, Plugs :-k
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Process of ilimination. Take the plug out and check the spark. If that's okay, swap the carbs around and see if the problem also switches.
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

Tried new plugs and swapped the carbs still no better. It is strange as it would only run on the left cylinder.

I have taken the head and barrels off incase of damage to the RH cylinder but all looks ok.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

So you swap the carbs, problem still with the right cylinder = not a fuel/carburetion issue.

You swap the HT leads, problem still with the right cylinder = not a coil/HT lead issue.

You swap the plugs, problem still with the right cylinder = not a spark plug issue

The only thing left to check is for no right hand side piston.
jarno
Oil Injector

Post by jarno »

check the sidestand switch sometimes the cause the problems you have.
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
Kr1s c2 black green
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

When the engine is running, does the problem go away if you hold the right hand HT lead?
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

Luders wrote:When the engine is running, does the problem go away if you hold the right hand HT lead?
Didn't seem to make a difference really. Checked all connections were clean and tight also.

I have removed the barrels and both pistons and both barrels seem to be in good condition.

Which gets me back to dodgy CDI or exciter coils?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Seriously I don't think I can cope anymore. I will ask one more time. What happens if you take your left HT lead off and put it on the right hand spark plug?

You should have got a nice electrical kick up the arse if you had tried my previous suggestion, unless there's a problem with you HT lead. In which case, swapping your HT leads will cause the problem to switch to the left cylinder.
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

Luders wrote:Seriously I don't think I can cope anymore. I will ask one more time. What happens if you take your left HT lead off and put it on the right hand spark plug?

You should have got a nice electrical kick up the arse if you had tried my previous suggestion, unless there's a problem with you HT lead. In which case, swapping your HT leads will cause the problem to switch to the left cylinder.
Sorry Luders I thought I had answered that one. I swapped the leads and the problem did not switch to the left. I tried that before switching the carbs.

I didn't grab the HT lead by hand, but tried moving it in case there was a break in the lead somewhere to try and rule that out.

Sorry if the questions are frustrating, but having checked everything I thought obvious in a logical pattern I am still none the wiser. Just hoping someone may be able to throw some light on it.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Ian,
Take out both spark plugs, connect the HT leads and put the plugs on the head so you can see if they spark when you kick the bike over.
If you see sparks at both plugs then it must be fuel/carbs.
If you only see one plug spark, then it must be plug/HT lead or coil (the wiring for both pots is common).

The most common cause of running on one pot/difficult starting/uneven running and tickover is un-synchronised carbs (I had this problem when I first started mine)

I was scratching my head for ages (then I admitted defeat and rang Martin) =D>

Good luck [-o<
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

have you checked the right hand reeds?
swapped the carbs - probably eliminated fuelling
if you swapped the good firing plug lead to right side and still wouldnt run on right
then is fuel getting from carb into cylinder? is the reed damaged or blocked?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

The subject title of this thread conflicts slightly with the one about the flywheel removal.

Are you saying there is an intermittent miss fire on the right cylinder, or is there no visible spark when you remove the spark plugs.

You need to eliminate potential areas of failure by following logical troubleshooting steps.

If there was a spark issue with the right cylinder, but not the left, your problem would switch if you swapped the HT leads. So providing there isn't a spark plug problem, what you're suggesting doesn't point to an electrical fault.

If you swapped the carbs and the problem still remains on the right cylinder, check the reeds as Danny suggests.

The flywheels are often bastards to get off BTW.