kips-exhaust port crack, b%$#$x!

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

kips-exhaust port crack, b%$#$x!

Post by mgtkr1 »

after spending countless hrs making sure everything matched, had a better flow path, removing imperfections etc i found to my horror a bastard crack from kips port to exhaust port :evil: yet another setback, does any one have any quick barrels with good plating for sale, i know im pissing in a force ten but worth a try cheers matt
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Matt - they still run. Just rub over it with a bit of emery paper and it might be ok. My good set were cracked and I think I ran them like that for at least a couple of races and two dyno sessions with no probs.

Early TZ V-Twin barrels do the same.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

mark, always good to hear some sort of reassurance, thanks! tbh i dont see any step and have been plated recently hence why they appear smooth. prob been that way years, just annoying when things look nice and new to see a hairline crack spoil the image! anyway on that news i'll proceed with fitting pistons etc and get the thing ready! also have some barrels as per t/sparrow (04 i think) with some marks on the rear facing bore ( near boost/r.transfer) will these be usable with new pistons+rings? gonna get replated soon any way. cheers matt :D
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Probably - bring them to Cadwell and I will have a look.

What pistons and head are you planning on using?
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

looks like i''ll be using 4dp now (if peg located correctly) as i have a good source off mate! the barrels in question need squaring/tidying up as i need to get correct tool, fancy earning a few beer tokens?lol :lol: will see you at cadwell anyway, cheers matt