My new project return after 6 years out

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Re: My new project return after 6 years out

Post by 500bernie »

If you are worried and want to bleed the system fully just to make sure, pre-mix in the tank (or use an auxiliary tank at 33:1) pull out the check valves out of the inlet manifolds and stick them in a bottle. Run it and hold the oil pump on full, make sure there are no air bubbles in the pipes, then stick them back in the manifolds (and put some more neat petrol in the tank).
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Pe6331

Post by Pe6331 »

Yes I can not lie it does concern me so indeed I'm going to do just that , however got new dramas now went to start her no fuel getting to the carbs. I lifted the tank off and sucked on the vac pipe no fuel came out on any setting. The fuel has sat in the tank for near 7 years and had defiantly gone off , to boot the inside has rusted as well.
DeadHammer
Heavy Smoker

Post by DeadHammer »

Rusty tanks are a pain in the backside. I have a number of restorations here and, apart from those that are plastic, they all have rusty tanks!

I've tried all manner of methods to clean them including the anode/cathode method (as per this months Practical Sportsbikes Magazine) but i've come to the conclusion that with modern fuels it's just a matter of time before the problem rears it's ugly head again.

Sad as it is the only solution I've found to resolve the issue permanently is to line the inside of the tank. I've used the 3 stage POR-15 solution and it works, it's also silver in colour which means when you look in the tank it looks like bare metal so you would be hard pressed to know it's been lined..
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I have used por 15 and it seems a good product but some folks have had disasters with it and they swear they followed the instructions to the letter :?

still say though a tank sealer is better than no tank sealer as this modern fuel is wrecking steel tanks :evil:
Can it yer old boiler
mike916sp
Smoker

Post by mike916sp »

Used por-15 in my tank 2 years ago - great stuff. Follow instructions to the letter especially temperature.
1990 Kawasaki KR-1S c2, 1994 Ducati 916 s1, 2006 Ducati 1000 Sport
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

mike916sp wrote:Used por-15 in my tank 2 years ago - great stuff. Follow instructions to the letter especially temperature.
I agree. I've done about 15 tanks (one of them aluminium - wasn't quite fuel-tight after welding repair) since about 1995 and the POR-15 product always worked well.

The last time I used it, I had 3 tanks to do in one go. I bought the POR-15 car fuel tank repair kit and I now have enough chemicals left over to do at least one extra bike tank.

Regards,
James
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I have done 3 tanks (one not mine) and always did them in the summer,don't know why :lol:
Can it yer old boiler
mike916sp
Smoker

Post by mike916sp »

headcoats wrote:I have done 3 tanks (one not mine) and always did them in the summer,don't know why :lol:
Cos its the right temperature then :idea:
1990 Kawasaki KR-1S c2, 1994 Ducati 916 s1, 2006 Ducati 1000 Sport
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Pure coincidence with me :oops:
Can it yer old boiler