Electrical gremlins!

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
maccas
Oil Injector

Electrical gremlins!

Post by maccas »

Hi Guys,

Took the kr for mot yesterday and it passed wahoo!!

However it wasn't without issue. When I came to the bike the battery was dead, i tried charging it but nothing, dead as a dodo. So rather than fanny about with that I nicked the battery eliminator off my 3xv. Great, all lights working proceed to test centre! Pass!

However on the way home, the indicators stopped working, both filaments in the rear light burnt out. The low beam filament in the headlight popped. The powervalves have stopped working too :-(

When I got home I fitted a battery off another bike. The indicators are now working again. The horn works fine. All the dash lights work. Replacing the bulb in the rear light has sorted that.

The kips are still not working though. This is with a standard kr1 cdi. I have checked the kips motor with a battery and it turns so that is fine. I think I've killed the cdi.

Do we think the reg/rec has died and its overcharging?

I'm going to measure the charging voltage with the engine running in a bit. I think that is what has happened.

I did notice that the headlight looked incredibly bright when riding behind a car.

Any other ideas guys? The tacho still works so thats a bonus!

Dan
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Electrical gremlins!

Post by Luders »

Yep, sounds like your regulator Dan, stick a multi meter across it to be sure :(
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Hi Ben,

Just checked it with the multimeter. 18v when running. Definitely the reg/rec then!

I need one for tuesday as taking it round cadwell!

Can anyone help? Willing to travel. As close to east yorkshire as possible!

Cheers, Dan
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I have one you can borrow mate
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Its threads like this that show
1 the quick technical response and support
2 The proof that good people exist and want help others, well done Ben.
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Hi guys,

Right received the new reg/rec from martin and fitted it today.

The bike doesnt seem to be charging properly now. :-(. If i disconnect the battery while the engine is running and turn the lights on, the lights work but they aren't as bright as they should be.

With the multimeter connected when i rev the bike the voltage drops slightly. I don't think it's the stator as surely it wouldn't kick out any voltage at all if it was? And it was over charging with the old reg/rec. So i'm ruling out the stator.

What else could it be? Could it be a duff reg/rec?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you again martin for the speedy delivery of the reg/rec. I'm not sure yet if it is any good though sadly :-(

Dan
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

There certainly isn't 14v being seen across the battery anyway.

Dan
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

maccas wrote: The bike doesnt seem to be charging properly now. :-(. If i disconnect the battery while the engine is running and turn the lights on, the lights work but they aren't as bright as they should be.

Do they give more light when you rev the bike ? at idling, the circuit doesn't give enough to make the lights burn brigtly, the system needs some revs to do that.

With the multimeter connected when i rev the bike the voltage drops slightly. I don't think it's the stator as surely it wouldn't kick out any voltage at all if it was? And it was over charging with the old reg/rec. So i'm ruling out the stator.

what readings do you get at idle/when revving ?
Did you follow the manual ? checked the stator-windings resistance (0.3 - 1 ohm) and resistance to the earth (should be infinit) ? disconnect them from the reg and measured how much voltage the give (over 25V AV @ 4000 rpm) ? only then you can rule out the stator.

What else could it be? Could it be a duff reg/rec?

anything is possible. Do you have other bikes (Kawa's) ? lot's of them have the same type and connector, you could swap them.

Any help appreciated.
checked the wiring loom ? checked the outputvoltage at the connector of the reg/rec, and then follow it through the loom.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

any progress Maccas ? or have you cancelled your trackday ?
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Professor
Heavy Smoker

Post by Professor »

The regulator / rectifier is a common item, same fitment as some zx?r and some other Kawasaki's and Yam TRX850. Yam reg/rec is supposed to be better design and quality, newer Kawasaki reg/rec are larger in size with better heat sink and they want to have more fresh air really.

you can find fitments at Electrex world. you migh be able to borrow another from someone else local to check. Or run total loss system for track day, maybe take two fully charged batteries.

Charging rate/voltage varies with revs, not linier
Hardcore you know the score
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Right, I fitted the reg/rec from Martin and the problem is now completely different. I tried a reg/rec from my friends zxr400 and it was exactly the same so I think the reg/rec is good. The battery is terrible and I think it isn't helping matters. It does not want to charge up very well at all.

Sadly I haven't had time to do much checking with the multimeter and I'm away from the bike again now for a while sadly.

I took the bike to cadwell and it wouldn't rev out, it was coughing and spluttering over 8k. I think this is down to low battery voltage and lack of charging. This was with the programmable fitted that is a DC/DC ignition hence low battery voltage has an effect. I rode it with the zeel on the other day and it pulled hard round to 11.5 on the tacho so it was working ok then (although still not charging properly). It pulled much harder with the zeel fitted too which I am pleased about!

Anyway I will sort it in a few weeks. Thank you everyone for your contributions so far!

Cheers,

Dan