CNC cylinder head

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

CNC cylinder head

Post by JanBros »

because the edges on my emptied cyl head with inserts were too thin where the outer O-ring is - they started cracking, I had to come up with something new.

My son is following a mechanical direction at school and when I met his teacher at school that does CNC-programming, I asked if it was possible to do stuff, he said that might be possible. So I had to come up with a design.

Until 2 weeks go, I only new solidworks was a program my son used at school, so after a bit of "searching the net" :mrgreen: , I found version 2012. and after many hours (much too many according to my wife :oops: ) I have made this 8) :

Image 8)

only thing left to do is make the waterpipes. that's why there are 2 holes at the back of each head. I'm gonna use 2 pipes that go to this :

thermostat house from a GPX600, but need to get my hands on one to get the diameters for the pipes.

don't know what 'll cost me, but if they would do all the programming and give it to me, and make me one to test, I'd be very happy (if they don't overcharge) :D
Then if it works, I only need to give the programme to a CNC-company and they could make more without having to pay for the programming - which is the expensive part imho.

the holes in the middle are just to save some weight :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

That's looking good there Jan. I'm assuming this is still a work in progress, meaning things like seats for the power valve stem seals are still to be added. How are you palnning to fit and secure the water pipe fittings in the head?
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

ScottaKR wrote:That's looking good there Jan. I'm assuming this is still a work in progress, meaning things like seats for the power valve stem seals are still to be added. How are you palnning to fit and secure the water pipe fittings in the head?
oops, forgot the KIPS seals :oops:

waterpipes just like the single original, but first need to know the dimansions of the thermosat house.
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Jan

Send me the file and I will compare with the heads I had made a few years back. Mine were in Machine shop and the DXF files it produces are ok except it set 1mm = 1 inch :o(

MJ
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

mj43 wrote:Jan

Send me the file and I will compare with the heads I had made a few years back. Mine were in Machine shop and the DXF files it produces are ok except it set 1mm = 1 inch :o(

MJ
great, but then I'll need your email :wink:
WhiteFiver

Post by WhiteFiver »

why not have the heads seperate, will be lighter, seal better and if damaged you only need to replace one
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Jan search for a cracked copy of 'MasterCAM' that will do virtual machining and tool paths as well as write the G Code. There is no need for anyone to program anything.

Recently I have been getting involved with casting which is a much much cheaper alternative. 50-60% of your billet will end up as swarf. You can make casting cores from any material, the core boxes need to be made from special resins, sand is set in CO2. Complex shapes can be glued together. Well worth looking into.
crochet & croquet
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

teacher hasn't been to school since newyear, so no progress since.

today was open-school-day, so I went and took my laptop with me and spoke to some other teachers. The head of the "technical departement" thought that it would be possible, but needs to speak to "some teacher" to see what it would cost and if/when it could be done.

fingers crossed [-o<
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: CNC cylinder head

Post by JanBros »

can not do it anymore this schoolyear :(