Tank respray

Plastic bits and Paint
tornado
Light Smoker

tank respray

Post by tornado »

as Mark said, I had my tank fully repaired (few dents) resprayed/new stinkers at the Roadhouse in Pudsey, Leeds.

Honestly, Steve Spray did a fantastic job, took is back down to the bare metal, a real top job - £200 cash

(oh, same colour scheme as Sproket Stu)

Paul
sprocket stu
Heavy Smoker

paint

Post by sprocket stu »

£200 :shock:
just for a tank :shock: :shock:
im in the wrong trade, i painted teds bike for £150 including the paint, it only took 3 evenings including repairs
i know it was for a mate but come on :?
the one of mine in the photo i did in the same time
the baby zxr took a little longer as the fairing upper took alot of work to making good before paint

at £200 a tank i will do anyones :roll:
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Dam you Tornado I had already spoken to stu about painting the bike for me I was just working out what if it was worth having a go myself but now Stu has his new pricing I think I might have to do it myself :lol: :lol:

I thought it was a bit steap to be fair I used to have VW beetles when I was a kid and I used to get a full respray for that much :shock:
sprocket stu
Heavy Smoker

beetles

Post by sprocket stu »

2 mistakes there
1 - admitting to owning beetles

2 - admitting to remmembering having beetles in the 60s when resprays cost £200 :P
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

I'm 29 it was only 13 years ago :lol:

I had about 5 beetles all together too ooooppps done it again :lol:
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

To be fair it did look like a £200 resspray as well :D
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

what you need is a friendly body repairs shop, if you prep the tank yourself, and even go armed with the paint, there is a good chance, the sprayer will fit you in at some point, but for a complex colour/paint scheme then it becomes time and money, I've got a very good custom airbrush place near me, who has done 2 bikes, and at least 1 lid, at very good rates, but to get the KR resprayed, Ill be doing the prep work, buying the paint, and then getting a price.

how much do you think your spend getting the gear together, off set that against the cost of someone else doing it?
not saying dont do it, but sometimes it's works out cheaper getting it done, rather than you doing it yourself.
This week I've mainly been in the garage!!!!
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

sacko wrote:I'm 29 it was only 13 years ago :lol:

I had about 5 beetles all together too ooooppps done it again :lol:
I still got one! :oops: :oops: :oops:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Excellent Alimorg wish I still had one best I had was a 1966 6 volt done in a california look very low with huge back tyres and the rest standard anyway thats probably for a different forum :D

nickb I think you are right but this thing keeps nagging me that I have always wanted to be able to do it myself (althought it will probably look like I did it with a paint brush) I am going to see if I can borrow a compressor (or rent one) I have a spray gun I aquired and see if I can do anything then probably have to take it to a body shop to fix the mess I have made :lol:
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

sacko wrote:Excellent Alimorg wish I still had one best I had was a 1966 6 volt done in a california look very low with huge back tyres and the rest standard anyway thats probably for a different forum :D
Mine is in a bit of a state at the moment - well I say mine its actually the wifes, she bought it with her first pay packet some 15 years ago so she has an emotional attachment to it (it even has a name!) its been sat in a field for the last year so is a bit green, but I now have a disc conversion with dropped spindles, and some lovely stainless towel rail bumpers and new bonnet and wings. roll on summer!
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams