Next project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
pablo
Premix Junkie

Next project

Post by pablo »

While I'm waiting for the KR1S bodywork comming back from the painters, I'm at a bit of a loose end. So, I thought I'd make a start on the Lawson.

I spent this afternoon stipping parts, and taking a lot of digi photos. I really want this one on the road, they were a fantastic bike.

"Turned out nice again"
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Thats a good looking beast Pablo,

Did the big K make them in those colours or is that a one off spray job?

I always thought the Lawson colours were the green/white/blue?
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

When you get a close look at it Howie, it's a very tired Z1000r. It's done 54K and has had 12 previous owners, making me the 13th 8-[

The Canada and US models were green, and came with a Kerer 4-1 exhaust as standard. UK and Europe got the white paint sceme, and a 2-1 exhaust like the GPZ1100. First thing everyone did though was paint them green.

I'm not going bog standard on this one. It's already got a Mechamex (iffy spelling) swinging arm, and those are the wrong shocks, plus the are crap. The Harris exhaust is knackered, so I'm going to save up for a Kerker, and set of piggy back Ohlins.

http://www.dynoman.net/exhaust/kerker-apps.html

http://www.ohlins-suspension.co.uk/ohli ... oducts.htm

I've already uncovered a few horrors, but up to now it's all fixable. I might paint it green :-k can't quite decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG6agfSh ... re=related
"Turned out nice again"
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

I like that a proper mans bike. Keep the white colour its different and makes people think if its original.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Paul,
Nice to see the beast out of the garage, I always wanted one, but with at 29" inside leg........it was never going to happen :(

When are you expecting the bodywork back :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Bernie :D
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

500bernie wrote:Hi Paul,

When are you expecting the bodywork back :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Hi Bernie, He says it's nearly finished. I'm in no real hurry as long as it's right I can wait.

How are you getting on?
"Turned out nice again"
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

I had one of those with a Harris 4:1 on.
Swapped my Z1R for it - made me cry seeing the old 1R being ridden off.
Then I rode the Eddie - 'ooligan machine :twisted:
Soon forgot the 1R. The other half hated it - wasn't impressed when I took her on the back down the Thanet Way at just under .....mph
I suspect it is rose tinted memories of the bike but they are good ones :D
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Paul,
Can't wait to see the bodywork when you get it back.

I have been flat out at work, so the bike has been neglected :(

I hope to get some time over the next few weeks to try and make some progress.

Cheers
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

I'm glad you lie it MJ. We happened on it by chance, as sometimes happens. We wern't really looking for an ELR partly because they are so hard to find. I had been thinking along the lines of a Z1R Mk ll. I always liked their lines, and they allready had the Z pedigree.

A bloke at work handed me a piece of paper with 83 Z1000R2 ELR 54,000 mls, non runner, a phone number, and the name of a retired former workmate.

After a bit of thought I got in touch and we did a deal.

I knew when I bought it there was a lot to do, but it's a Lawson.

Straight away I could see all three calipers were siezed, and had the bleed nipples snapped off, the screws in the mastercylinder are nicely mutilated, and I've uncovered a host of other niceties since.

Woodscrews, and Araldite #-o

It'll get done though. I've been sourcing parts while I was working on the KR1s, which diverted funds, but had to be done. I've got three decent calipers that are soaking in diesel to try and unstick the bleed nipples. But a front mudguard is proving to be a bit tricky to source :?

I have thought about an upside down front end :-k It seems to be a common conversion, and would solve a few parts problems.

Nothing definate yet though.

Bernie I'll let you know mate.
"Turned out nice again"
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

Straight away I could see all three calipers were siezed, and had the bleed nipples snapped off, the screws in the mastercylinder are nicely mutilated, and I've uncovered a host of other niceties since.

Woodscrews, and Araldite #-o

It'll get done though. I've been sourcing parts while I was working on the KR1s, which diverted funds, but had to be done. I've got three decent calipers that are soaking in diesel to try and unstick the bleed nipples.

Bernie I'll let you know mate.[/quote]

Sounds like you have a few hours of messing about there, interesting about soaking the calipers in diesel :idea:
Last edited by 375 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

luv them old monsters.....screeams Mad Max all the way'.......... :lol:
'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........