my project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
john-b
Oil Injector

my project

Post by john-b »

Ok a while back i posted a pic or didnt rather in the show me yours section and never got round to putting anything in this section. Anyway since i was on the old forum as well as ths one i figured i should make the effort and contribute :lol:

So i bought this and got it on the road fully rebuilt the engine and painted it black and green and left the rest just to run it for the summer and it promptly started rattling after about 100 miles, that will be a dropped ring then :cry: Anyway thats it in the middle next to the other one and the tzr.

So since i have another thats on the road anyway that i built from a frame in 2006 i think? see original post and managed to buy back earlier this year, i pulled it to bits and decided to tidy it. I skipped polishing as the other one has a polished frame and swing arm etc and everything on it i will do myself as i dont see how you restored something or whatever when you just bolted a load of stuff on you paid someone else to fix or refurb or whatever. No offence meant to anyone by the way.

So first pic is about 18 months ago i paid £400 in case your were wondering engine was no good, bodywork rubbish and the pics make it look ace i bought it off on evilbay. Frame had been attacked with silver rattle cans and the engine etc overspray everywhere.

Im going for useable not a trailer queen as i ride all year round, i rarely drive as the traffic does my head in.

So far the frame is matt black 2 pac, the spars and swingarm are the later silver gold as found on the ZX9R etc. All painted in my giant spray booth.

That will be the back garden then :lol: not sure what to do with the wheels yet

Last edited by john-b on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Welcome back John!
I've still got the KR-1s you sold me, I've blown it up, crashed it, but it refuses to die! I've also got two other ones now as well..........
Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

bloody hell mike not sure about the crash bit that sounds painful :shock: i always liked that one it rode lovely and had the fancy braced swing arm on.

Actually that must of been about 2004? shit so in my spare time when im not doing old :roll:
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

ok done some more, i put the engine back together and have put some kr1 barrels on to see if there is any real difference back to back riding as the other one is a 1S both have flowed bottom ends and everything else is the same except this one has nikons on which dont seem to do anything noticable apart from weigh nothing. Actually they sound amazing especially with an open airbox sounds like a TZ .

I know i havent done step by step but i couldnt see much point as everything i have done is just run of the mill, so far it has taken about a month which is longer than i thought although if i hadnt done all the painting etc myself and had to wait for other people i suppose it would of been longer still. To be honest the worst bit is cleaning things seems to take ages and its boring :( Still on the plus side its better than getting oily everytime you touch anything when your putting it together.

Calipers are just as they were i will repaint my spare pair the same goes for the wheels. The rad i did today after i checked it ran ok, bodywork is already painted black and green, i did that in summer so practically done now :D should be mot'd in the next couple of weeks so i will post a pic when its dressed as it were.

Should hopefully turn out a nice useable bike without being too over the top that its a shame to ride it and im crying if it gets wet etc.

john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

ok had to rush a bit and some bits could be better but i need to strip the engine and sort the crank out on my BSA starfire, i chucked it in the shed in June when it broke and not been near it since :oops: :roll:

Ok so wheels i will swap with my spare set when i get round to painting them along with the calipers. I know it needs washing i but i thought it would be easier to clean the bodywork once it was on honest :oops: besides i never got round to cutting it up either the finish is straight out of the gun it never got poilished.

Paint wise everything was done by me in the back garden bodywork and frame etc so i dont have anyone i would like to thank apart from bertie mollie for the tank yes it is that one i drilled holes knocked out the dents then welded it back up and doug on 2 wheels who i think had the bodywork from which was a bit of a strange colour but genuine. I probably should of taken more pics along the way as everyone likes those apparantly but if you want to know how i did anything or what i used just ask and if i can help i will.

Anyway here is the nearly finished item its taken about a month but i painted the bodywork black and green in summer so that saved some time. Hope you like i think the frame and swingarm work in those colours?

Last edited by john-b on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

And here is sound as im sure someone wanted to know what nikons sound like, bit smokey as cold but anyway nikons with lomas carbon cans if it works.

Its a bit crap because i did it with my phone

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... o-0001.mp4
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

I see you are keeping with your signature look of having odd coloured wheels John :D

*edit* Just watched the video- sounds great :twisted:
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

They sound fantastic 8)

My only quibble is the footage isn't long enough :twisted:
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

Beats the crap out of XFactor ,
I could watch and listen to those pipes all night...
=D>
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

GOOD TUNES
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY